Vegans

7 years ago I consumed everything from Schnitzels to beer, glutenous cakes and everything in-between. My then girlfriend (now wife) had been diagnosed with coeliac disease, and we were none the wiser to what this really meant.

Over the next two years I educated myself on cooking to her requirements, studied up on the ‘trend’ of Paleo, and after two months had lost 12kgs of unwanted fat.

Fast forward another 5 years and currently I’m pescatarian and she’s a qualified nutritionist. I’m not totally against the consumption of red meat, but I do believe we consume too much of it. It’s too easy to disassociate ourselves from the meat production industry. We walk into a supermarket and purchase a cut of ‘beef’ not cow, or ‘veal’ not baby calf, pork not pig, etc.

In the last week everyone lost their ■■■■ because they found out horses were getting sent to the abattoirs. Where did people think all the horses were going? People are weird, it’s ok for a cow to be slaughtered and thrown on a BBQ, but cook up a horse or dog and people will tell you you’re ■■■■■■ up, or the police will throw you in jail for animal cruelty.

Back to my original point, I think people need to be more involved with where their food came from. If people can sit through vegan documentaries such as Dominion, Forks over Knives and Cowspiracy, and not question the moral ethics of our food industry, and continue in their same ways, then fair enough. But I’ve never had anyone offer to watch those kind of movies willingly, people just want to be ignorant, rather than be informed to make a decision on what these movies are showing.

In a perfect world I’d probably have a hobby farm and provide food from paddock to plate, whether it be meat or vegetables. I grew up going shooting and fishing, so it really doesn’t bother me, but currently, I’m not going to walk into a supermarket and purchase a pre-cut piece of cow, or should I say beef and cook it up.

The other thing I find quite interesting is the consumption of milk. My wife is currently making enough milk to feed a small army, but if I offered anyone a glass they’d tell me I’m ■■■■■■ up, yet we drink the milk of a lactating cow…I’ll still eat cheese if there’s a cheese board on offer, as much as I shouldn’t because it clearly doesn’t agree with me

I encourage anyone and everyone to educate themselves on their food choices. If your opinion doesn’t change, so be it, but education is key to making an informed decision. As @darkknightpheonix mentioned, watch the new doco on Netflix, the Game Changers. Your wife might actually want you to go vegan after the increase in sexual activity they got :rofl:

Anyway, that’s my rant. I’m not a vegan activist, I’m just someone on a food journey finding what works best for me. And currently, after being 100% red meat free for 10 weeks, the energy levels are great even with sleepless nights and a 9 week old baby.

11 Likes

So the gist of your story is that a positive dietary change led to increased sexual activity, which led to babies.

In that case I’m eating a dozen frozen dagwood dogs followed by all the worst microwaved 7eleven burgers, followed by all the cheapest, most Hungarian processed eastern bloc meats I can get from Aldi or meat from whoever supplies hospitals. Who’d have thought meat could be a profilactic? I can’t be doing havin babies.

5 Likes

Demonstrably false.

The two vegans I know of in Port Fairy are Pommy lesbians, so you’re wrong again, @dingus.

No, the experiment they did on the documentary The Game Changers, where they measured the hardness of an erection and also the frequency and duration of an erection during sleep. The hardness I think increased around 10% and the frequency increased over 300%.

But, health and lifestyle does impact that. We had a miscarriage 2 years ago, but a heavier focus on nutrition and supplements and this time we carried full term.

As I said, I don’t care if people choose to eat meat, but people should at least make an informed decision

The bike thing is interesting. I ride but refuse to dress up like a Tour de France fantasist.

1 Like

You’re supposed to refer to it as Port Little these days.

3 Likes

Such a vegan response!

I should state that I have no issues with vegans. But if one tries to steal my burger or steak, I will knife them!

Has your study been peer reviewed, particularly in regard to statistically valid sample size?

2 Likes

I could add in all the ones who played for our cricket club over two stints. Fair old mixture, though. Plenty of good sheilas, but the occasional bulldyke.

im actually not vegan hahahaha

Classic Bubby

2 Likes

Just awoken from a 25-day meat-induced coma.

Documentary for Game Changers was funded by one of the US largest Pea protein company, who has a vested interest if more of the population turn to a vegan diet.
“Pea protein” is a major ingredient into plant based meat…ie vegan/veggie burgers

Other companies do similar things I.e Bertolli (pasta) paid for a study that said eating pasta 3 days a week and you won’t gain weight.

2 Likes

I visited an abattoir once. It wasn’t good.

A mates dad worked at four’n’twenty many moons ago. My mate never ate a pie in his life

1 Like

It’s ok as long as you don’t visit the kill floor. That is staggeringly uncomfortable.

Yeh its interesting, killing animals is usually far removed for the everyday person who buys their meat at coles/woolies.

1 Like

Everyone who eats meat should visit the kill floor.
And certainly everyone who moans at vegans.

4 Likes

I like cheese. That rules me out !