VFL - Prelim Final vs Casey @ Port Melbourne, 2:10pm Saturday 15 September 2018

Think I will too

2 Likes

CASEY DEMONS vs ESSENDON – Saturday 2.10pm @ Stannards Stadium

[LIVE on Channel 7 + listen on Aussie Digital]

2018 ENCOUNTER

Rd 13 @ RAMS Arena: Casey Demons 8.6 (54) d Essendon 6.10 (46)

The Demons caught Essendon napping by kicking the game’s first five goals by midway through the second quarter and weren’t headed again, their fierce tackling pressure ensuring a late charge from the Bombers fell short.

FORM COMING IN

The Demons (15-4) lost back-to-back games to the Box Hill Hawks and then Williamstown in the last two home-and-away rounds before responding emphatically with a 91-point defeat of Geelong in their qualifying final. / Essendon (11-9) has kept its season alive in four straight weeks with victories over Footscray, the Northern Blues, Collingwood and then Richmond by five points last week.

KEY QUESTION

Can Casey resist the momentum of the Bombers? Essendon’s season was on life support following a sixth straight loss in Round 19 that sent it down to 10th position on the ladder. However, the Bombers have effectively won four elimination finals in a row to steam into the season’s penultimate week, bringing back memories of their run to the 2015 preliminary final against eventual premier Williamstown from fifth position. The Demons arguably have more to lose with their AFL affiliate potentially entering its own preliminary final next week and will have to overcome a spirited team with a particularly vocal supporter base in order to reach a second VFL Grand Final in three years.

KEY STAT

This clash is going to be red-hot at the coalface. Both teams rank in the VFL’s top three for inside-50s per game, but their methods of winning the ball to drive it forward differ. Casey ranks first for tackles (Essendon ranks 12th) and excels at generating opposition turnovers thanks to pressure kings such as James Munro and Corey Wagner, while the Bombers rank second for clearances (the Demons rank 9th) on the back of Sam Draper’s rapidly developing ruck work. If Casey’s makeshift ruck division can’t compete, Essendon ball-winners like Kobe Mutch and Aaron Heppell – who torched the Tigers at stoppages last week – could run riot.

4 Likes

It may be worthwhile arriving a tad earlier to guarantee refuge in the stand… the preliminary (not prelim) match is a Women’s Young Guns clash. Hayley Bullas will be in #15 for the pink-jumpered team.

2 Likes

Now I need to convince mrs close who often doesn’t check the weather forecast…

1 Like

Just keep her away from the news and the internet…

2 Likes

What time is the VFL team announced?

BTV: VFL PF | Squad Selection

VFL Coach Dan Jordan takes us through the squad to face Casey in our Preliminary Final on Saturday.

VFL team selection: Prelim final

Conor Walsh

13 September 2018 6:35 PM

Essendon has confirmed its team to take on the Casey Demons in the preliminary final at Stannards Stadium.

AFL Bomber Jordan Houlahan will enter the side after missing the last two weeks with a hamstring complaint.

Coach Dan Jordan says he is excited at what the 19-year-old forward will bring to the Bombers.

“I thought his last game that he played was his best at VFL level. He used his assets in terms of his marking and also his pace and he kicked three goals,” Jordan said.

“He’ll be a good inclusion for us and he’ll look to play a similar role up forward and on the wing.

“He’ll be chomping at the bit to go.”

Trent Mynott, Alex Boyse and Joe Harrison will miss through injuries sustained in the semi-final win over Richmond, but Jordan said he has been impressed by the way they have responded and supported their teammates throughout the week.

With Saturday’s blockbuster set to be the Bombers’ first preliminary final appearance since 2015, Jordan believes his side is ready to take the next step on its biggest stage yet.

“We’ve had a mantra all year of next man up,” he said.

“In our first two finals, our VFL guys have played their role with aplomb and it’s probably been a difference in results for us.”

The Bombers will face the Demons on Saturday at Stannards Stadium from 2.10pm.

PRELIMINARY FINAL TEAM:

B – Francis, Hartley, McNiece

HB – Hind, Ridley, Zerk-Thatcher

C – J. Merrett, Clarke, Long

HF – A. Heppell, Houlahan, Younan

F – Green, Stewart, McQueen

R – Draper, Mutch, Hocking

I/C – Berry, Sibbald, Huntly, Ottavi, Laguda, Sheahan, Collins, Dixon

23P – Lazzaro

3 Likes

So that’s nominal ins: Collins, Ottavi, Houlahan, Dixon, Huntly, Sheahan, Laguda

No easy solutions to the challenge of playing a much better team this week.

Saving LAV for the Grand Final hey, I like it.

3 Likes

Well, Francis had a bad day last week. So maybe he turns that around.

1 Like

Looks like we won’t make it. A combination of no dogs at Port Melbourne and no dog sitters available.

Anyone who would like tickets, I have two available.

1 Like

The weather will be the solution

Happy to take them Darli!

Excellent. PM me your email address and I’ll send them through.

1 Like

They don’t count - they’re just vfl listed

Bernie Vince is playing for them.

1 Like

Wait… the dogs or the tickets???

9 Likes

Casey Demons

B: 37. D. Johnstone, 45. D. Keilty, 44. J. Smith
HB: 29. J. Hunt, 55. H. Petty, 1. J. Hutchins
C: 9. M. Gent, 18. J. Lockhart, 33. J. Kennedy-Harris
HF: 24. C. MacHaya, 42. J. Wagner, 63. B. Vince
F: 23. W. Collis, 38. T. Smith, 36. J. Garlett

R: 21. C. Pedersen, 13. C. Wagner, 12. T. Bugg

Int: 32. J. Briggs, 34. M. King, 41. M. Lefau, 6. J. Munro, 35. A. Quigley, 27. A. Scott, 49. C. Stockdale, 2. M. White

23P: 67. T. Freeman

In: M. King, B. Vince, J. Briggs, J. Kennedy-Harris, A. Scott, A. Quigley

Out: P. McKenna

Pm sent

Boo!

1 Like