VFL - Round 5 vs North @ Windy Hill, 12noon Saturday 5 May 2018

Probably won’t be an issue at AFL level…

Smith, Saad, Parish and McGrath, BJ has the right attitude and would be much better if the guys around him were playing well but at his age he’s not capable of being one man show down back

Not to mention half the team isn’t AFL listed so you’d think aren’t being coached as much as perhaps the AFL listed players are (or should be).

Ha, thanks for folding to the guilt trip :slight_smile:

Some additions:

• Hartley was really good. North got most of their goals from over-the-top breaks but anything resembling a contest was owned by Hartley. B Zerk Thatcher and Ridley were less obvious, but to be honest they were never stretched.
  • Dea did some nice stuff and some awful stuff. I’d have Redman in before him.
  • Ottavi started hot but faded, with Boyse more useful in the second half.
  • Almost the same story for Fennell and HepA. The latter had his best game for quite some time.
  • Merrett, meh. Houlahan didn’t get a great deal of it but at least he actually made a difference on the scoreboard.
  • McKernan had a very quiet first three quarters. He got torched in the ruck for the first ten minutes of the last quarter but started racking up some serious stats at ground level at the same time, and when he returned to the forward line started scoring.
  • His brief period in the ruck did highlight the value of Draper’s more-or-less draw in the ruck. Preuss certainly didn’t get his average of 45 hitouts today. [Turns out that this may not be a factual statement. But those stats do show Draper won at ground level.]
  • Younan continued his good form. Love a little man who likes leading rather than wrestling.

Did not play: The Traveller, Dixon, McQueen

10 Likes

There were live scores in the VFL app (and times and names for all of the scores) but now they’ve disappeared.

Potential ins:

• Franga is too good for this level.
  • Hartley very good.
  • Hard not to say Long after his best game ever.
  • Fantasia had a decent two quarters and never looked troubled, making several ground collects and kicks at full pace.
  • Langford, Clarke (yeah, right)
  • (Guelfi, didn’t play)

So not 10, but 7 is a pretty decent count of legit potentials.

18 Likes

2 goals: Younan, Hocking, Boyse, Fennell, Houlahan, Smack (the last two players waiting till the last quarter before registering)
1 goal: St Francis, Crosbie, Merrett, Langford, Redman, Fantasia, Hind

1 Like

We have to get some senior footy into Long so his selection for Dreamtime doesn’t look like tokenism :yum:

8 Likes

Inappropriate footwear. My excuse and I’m sticking hard to it…

4 Likes

It’s a conspiracy so no one drafts HepA

Long playing up forward or on the wing?

cough

3 Likes

He is an erratic footballer but so was Castagna - might be a fwd pressure role

so you’re saying 2 year contract extension to be sure?

From the VFL site

Essendon
Goal Kickers: D. Younan 2, H. Hocking 2, S. McKernan 2, J. Houlahan 2, B. Fennell 2, A. Francis 2, O. Fantasia, T. Crosbie, A. Boyse, K. Langford, N. Hind, M. Redman, J. Merrett
Best Players: A. Heppell, M. Redman, J. Long, A. Boyse, N. Hind, J. Sheahan

I would have liked to have seen a few more of the listed boys in the best

1 Like

disposals, kicks, tackles

Clarke: 30, 8, 5
Long: 29, 10, 7
Langford: 25, 10, 6
Redman: 24, 15, 5

Draper:19, 4, 4, 27 hitouts

6 Likes

Fark, Long did have a game

6 Likes

Clarke had 30 but 22 handballs. He would have to be close. Long and Redman appeared to have both had decent games stats wise and Draper looked solid.

2 Likes

I genuinely forgot to mention Redman. He did well too. He was the ‘middle man’ is getting things moved forward, whenever required. Provided options.

2 Likes

I’m relieved I wasn’t talking ■■■■.

(especially when you look at the hit-out stats…)

2 Likes