VFL - Round 5 vs North @ Windy Hill, 12noon Saturday 5 May 2018

Clark is solid very solid zero hurt factor

In relived my calls for a promotion are slightly less ridiculous

3 Likes

Draper had the same number of tackles as HeppA and Jerrett.

Not that it matters but I had Redman best by distance ahead of Langers next, then Hepp, Ridley, Long, Francis, Harts.

13 Likes

Time to bring these blokes in to the senior side.

We literally have no idea if they can play. Give them 10 games each, and we might find a player or two.

7 Likes

Let’s all pretend it isn’t Jackson Merrett coming back in

Oh it matters. Not because you are thePaulCousins, but because some of those players you listed are our favourites.

2 Likes

For a “meh” he got a lot of it, and you’d think he was the designated kicker by those stats.

Some of those kicks were really dumb, though.

1 Like

4 of the top 5 possession getters with more handballs than kicks. That’s not something the seniors need more of tbh. Something is rotten in the state of tullamarine right now.

11 Likes

It may suggest that all the most-likelies (or SHOULD be most likely) are playing an inside game. I didn’t see the game, but presumably Jerrett was providing the outside option to the inside handballs?

I was there briefly and the thing that Buoyed me in the 1st half whilst was there was franga’s engagement - he was encouraging, barking orders and wasn’t the insular guy we have seen over the last couple of years.

Encouraging signs, I haven’t given up on big red.

30 Likes

Would like to know more about VFL game plan. Does it work in the VFL because the opposition aren’t as good? Does it sometimes work because the opposition are concentrating on their game plan (when we play AFLVFL teams).

His father will be the ess legend that round, would be fantastic if Jake was out there.

1 Like

Is it the gameplan?

In the Coaches vid at AFL level this week they complained about “too many handballs” in defence, but players at both levels are handballing as their first thought. What have they trained for?

I could imagine a bit of “self preservation” at AFL level “just get rid of it”, but the numbers at VFL level suggest it’s what they’re being asked to do…?

I remember Brad Scott calling handball/kick ratio the most overrated stat in football; if the opposition is pressing hard you’re always going to be handballing more than you’d like.

What worries me is not the “one two”, it’s the third and fourth handballs in the chain. And it’s hard to tell on the tv, but if you’re there live it’s plain as day that they have NOTHING to kick to.

5 Likes

Definitely looked like he was enjoying himself. A few teammates really got around him when he kicked a goal. His aerial work is still A grade. North had some decent sized bodies and it was him and Hartley who did some nice contested work. Zerk was a little outsized on occasion,vso we’d have to be careful with his matchup if he got a call up.

Clarke rapidly becoming the NOB of 2018. One of the best ball winners in the VFL comp but our coaches dont rate him.

1 Like

Hopefully he’s not the same as NOB. We were all dying for him to get a go in the 1’s but as soon as he did we all realised pretty quickly why he hadn’t been getting a game.

4 Likes

Clarke is exactly what NOB was, an accumulator with no hurt factor. This is why he is still in the VFL, needs to develop a damaging handball, like Watson, diesel Williams, clayton Oliver.

He was picked in the 50s because he lacked this. Bringing him into the AFL will not improve the side

So Smack offered nothing except a couple of junk time goals?