Violence Against Women

Ex-Eagle Daniel Kerr behind bars over ‘threatening’ text messages to ex-wife
May 10, 2016 8:26pm
JOEL KELLYHerald Sun

Daniel Kerr at Perth Magistrates court during a previous hearing.
FORMER West Coast Eagles footballer Daniel Kerr was refused bail after allegedly sending threatening text messages to his estranged-wife — breaching a violence restraining order.

He was arrested overnight and appeared in Perth Magistrates Court, where he was refused bail.

It is alleged Kerr sent threatening text messages to his estranged wife on May 7 and May 8, which would be in breach of an existing Violence Restraining Order.

Kerr, 32, was remanded in custody and will appear in court again on May 24 via video link from Hakea Prison.

The court heard Kerr was also recorded in a phone call saying: “I’m at the point of snapping — let me see my children or I’ll slit your throat”.

In a second recorded phone call Kerr is alleged to have told his estranged wife: “I will rape your mum”.

Kerr’s lawyer, Rhett Williamson said a condition of Kerr’s Violence Restraining Order allows him to send text messages “regarding his children’’ to his estranged wife.

The court heard Kerr sent two messages to her on Saturday, May 7 and Sunday night, saying “Tash, I know you’re happy and if it doesn’t work out, I’d drop everything to have a coffee” and later “you know me — you take my children and I take two”.

Mr Williamson told the court the last text message referred to taking two weeks to sign passport documents for his children — an expression of frustration over only seeing his children once in the past three months.

The court heard the last text was interpreted by his estranged wife as a threat and Natasha Kerr attempted to call Kerr 20 times to clarify what he meant, however, Kerr would hang up and laugh.

Eventually, Kerr had a recorded conversation with his estranged wife, in which he allegedly made threats to her and her mother.

The magistrate said he could not be satisfied Mr Kerr would not breach any bail conditions he could apply and therefore decided not to grant bail.

Kerr’s mother Roxanne Kerr told Seven News on Tuesday it was “very sad” the situation and come to this but her son was “purely a desperate father just fighting to see his children”.

“I just want people to realise desperate people do desperate things and, you know, all he wants to do is see his kids,” she said.

“Let me see the children or I’ll slit your throat.” And she was supposed to say OK, was she, Daniel?

This line is the best

Kerr’s lawyer, Rhett Williamson said a condition of Kerr’s Violence Restraining Order allows him to send text messages “regarding his children’’ to his estranged wife.
So he can threaten to kill someone but it's OK as long as he mentions his children in the message.

■■■■ me is there anyone lower in the world than a lawyer?

This line is the best
So he can threaten to kill someone but it's OK as long as he mentions his children in the message.

His mum is pretty ok with things as well, shades of ‘He’s not the messiah, he’s just a very naughty boy.’ Good to see the magistrate take the threat seriously. He must post a real danger if he can’t get bail, over a text or few.

This line is the best

No saw another one today, where a lawyer representing a taxi driver who sexually assaulted a female passenger said the assault could have been prevented if the woman had sat in the backseat instead of the passenger seat. Or you know by his ■■■■■■■■ client showing some common human decency and a woman’s decision to sit in the passenger seat was not an invitation for him to get his rocks off.

Something needs to be written into the professional standards or code of conduct that governs legal professionals so this kind of double victimisation, where the victim is blamed for what happened to them is not allowed to be run as some kind of mitigating factor by some dipshit lawyer.

“I just want people to realise desperate people do desperate things and, you know, all he wants to do is see his kids,” she said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/exeagle-daniel-kerr-behind-bars-over-vro-breach/news-story/1c98fe878bf87d2e3aab250dd7764c71

Same excuse was used for Arthur Freeman…sorry Mumma Kerr you are part of the problem.

Dropped into this thread expecting it to be about assassinating Caro.
All good - Carry on.

This line is the best

No saw another one today, where a lawyer representing a taxi driver who sexually assaulted a female passenger said the assault could have been prevented if the woman had sat in the backseat instead of the passenger seat. Or you know by his ■■■■■■■■ client showing some common human decency and a woman’s decision to sit in the passenger seat was not an invitation for him to get his rocks off.

Something needs to be written into the professional standards or code of conduct that governs legal professionals so this kind of double victimisation, where the victim is blamed for what happened to them is not allowed to be run as some kind of mitigating factor by some dipshit lawyer.

Even worse in that case the Judge “took into consideration all that this man had achieved in coming to Australia and overcoming his war torn past”. Yeah good one judge, he has sexually assaulted a woman, I could care less if he has given millions to the poor,raised the dead, cured cancer and fixed the problems of the planet, he has freakin sexually assaulted a women, he deserves no “considerations”.

Seriously, Kerr needs to get of the Meth.

Seriously, Kerr needs to get of the Meth.

Ahhh, so that’s the solution

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/exeagle-daniel-kerr-behind-bars-over-vro-breach/news-story/1c98fe878bf87d2e3aab250dd7764c71

Same excuse was used for Arthur Freeman…sorry Mumma Kerr you are part of the problem.

If Kerr wasn’t such a low life scum prick in the first place, he would not have any trouble getting to see his kids. Sounds like his mum has been enabling him for years.

It’d be a good thing if they started hanging lawyers who come up with this type of crap. Defend scumbags, but leave this tripe out of it.

1 Like

Kerr needs to have a good log chat with Jimmy Bartel, like for a few months, or else he risks becoming just like Jimmy’s old man.

And here we go again. Young woman, foreign, about a kilometre from her house, random psycho. Jill Meagher no 2.

You’d think it’s only a matter of time till he’s caught given they have items of his clothing, but still. Horrible. Again.

1 Like

It’s one of those stories you read and feel ill. Absolutely horrific.

2 Likes

Yeah, very frustrating and terrifying that it keeps happening.

The clothing is fantastic. Either they’ll get DNA off the clothing or someone will recognise it. Plus with this sort of offence the perpetrator will already be someone known to police as a violent/sexual offender, so straight off that narrows the scope of who they’re looking for. They’ll have him in custody before you know it - I suspect they may already know / strongly suspect who he is.

1 Like

Staggers me that for half our population, just going about your business you are a chance at being seriously assaulted.

6 Likes

The saddest bit is that in a lot of the world it is even worse than it is here. In some countries it’s absolutely terrifying.

9 Likes

Derryn Hinch has tweeted that it is a known sex offender so it sounds like the police know who he is.