Violence Against Women

He might be right (almost certainly is) but I can guarantee you that nobody in Victoria Police would ever tell Derryn Hinch anything ever. They despise him

2 Likes

Thatā€™s 100% of the population. Not 50%.

2 Likes

Comeon Alex you know exactly what the point was there. Donā€™t be a d/ck

10 Likes

https://www.ourwatch.org.au/understanding-violence/facts-and-figures

The following basic statistics help demonstrate the prevalence and severity of violence against women:

• On average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.1

• 1 in 3 Australian women have experienced physical violence since the age of 15.2

• 1 in 5 Australian women has experienced sexual violence.3

• 1 in 6 Australian women has experienced physical or sexual violence by current or former partner.4

• 1 in 4 Australian women has experienced emotional abuse by a current or former partner.5

• Australian women are nearly three times more likely than men to experience violence from an intimate partner.6

• Australian women are almost four times more likely than men to be hospitalised after being assaulted by their spouse or partner.7

• Women are more than twice as likely as men to have experienced fear or anxiety due to violence from a former partner.8

• More than two-thirds (68%) of mothers who had children in their care when they experienced violence from their previous partner said their children had seen or heard the violence.9

• Almost one in 10 women (9.4%) have experienced violence by a stranger since the age of 15.10

• Young women (18 ā€“ 24 years) experience significantly higher rates of physical and sexual violence than women in older age groups.11

• There is growing evidence that women with disabilities are more likely to experience violence.12

• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women report experiencing violence in the previous.12 months at 3.1 times the rate of non-Indigenous women.13

• In 2014ā€“15, Indigenous women were 32 times as likely to be hospitalised due to family violence as non-Indigenous women.14

13 Likes

Yes its shocking.

I think the point of the pƓster is that men are victims of violence too.

Id suggest you would be hard pressed to find many men who have never experienced violence either. Probably at general rates higher than women.

But in the Domestic situation? Men generally hold the physical upper hand, sĆ³ id say it would be expected base on that dynamic and those men vs women stats reasonably accurate.

I have had one abusive partner, probably violent to the extent it may have been worth reportingā€¦ Simply for her own benefit. We are no longer together thank God and I do hold some concerns she will meet a bloke who gives as good as she does.

Woman who are abusive and there are plenty out there are their own worst enemy. But at least they have control of it. Men who are abusiveā€¦ Domestically its the other person who generally ends up worse off.

1 Like

Abuse also comes in many forms

Well yeah of course it does

In most Domestic situations there is almost always a reason violence occurs. Just doesnt mean its and excuse to be violentā€¦that is unexcusable, because well the effects can be permanent.

There is a reason certain type of people get called the C word.

I canā€™t remember the term for it, but human nature is to shelve terrible thoughts away by applying some sort of justification to it.

Aya Masarwe was not murdered by a ā€œpsychoā€ or a ā€œmentally illā€ person. She was murdered by a coward who thought they could just do what they wanted.

By automatically applying labels to mask her murderer as sub-human it helps puts our mind at ease that they are nothing like us or the people we know.

Which, Iā€™m sorry to be the one telling you, ainā€™t true.

6 Likes

@handypoint @Eastie_Boi1 Are you clowns actually being serious? Raising all this now, when weā€™re discussing a woman whoā€™s been brutally assaulted and killed in the streets? Seriously?

6 Likes

fark, this is horrendous. although, iā€™m muting this thread. iā€™ve been actively avoiding the news websites and radio news in order to avoid these exact types of horrible stories. ignorance is blissā€¦

1 Like

Violence is the problem.

Violence against women is a segment of the problem. A particularly nasty and sickening segment.

But, imo, itā€™s not possible to address a segment of a problem, without addressing the more broader problem.

Violent people and violent behaviour is a major issue that faces society, and Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s something everybody can agree with.

7 Likes

Iā€™m a bit unique in that the details donā€™t affect me, because I dealt with this stuff in a daily basis for work for quite a lot of years. But otherwise I agree. Avoid the gory details if you can because it seems as though this one is pretty bad

1 Like

This is a solid point.

1 Like

99.9999 whatever percentage excludes me.

Iā€™m just shy of 2m tall and ring up $1,20 on the scale. I never ever ever have to worry about being assault/murdered whilst going about everyday activity because the odds of a random coward actually fronting up to me are non-existent.

Now the flipside of that is that I can be seen by vulnerable folk as a potential attacker by virtue of my size and gender. In a stunning display of patience Iā€™m able to not have a fkn conniption whenever that happens and I can just instead recognise why that is the way it is and do what I can (eg: leave the area, cross the road, not whinge online) to make others feel safe.

7 Likes

Exactly right. Itā€™s the same as the crazy racist on the bus who makes it to
YouTube. We all laugh and say ā€œwhat a crazy personā€, conveniently ignoring the fact that we all probably know people who are also racist in much more subtle, socially acceptable ways

1 Like

Butā€¦butā€¦butā€¦the poor men.

The frequency with which my wife looks up from the paper and says ā€œanother woman has been murderedā€ with tears in her eyes is appalling.

There is a very real problem in this country and it highlights how far away from turning the corner we are when the issue is raised and a large percentage of men try to deflect with the what about us?

8 Likes

Did you ever think of telling the club? We could have avoided picking up Zac Clarke

I can hit targets on the run with handballs and I can kick straight so I got a ā€œthanks but no thanksā€

7 Likes

While Iā€™m in a hot take kind of mood

100% of those who bring up ā€œnot all menā€ type lines either previously or currently engage in questionable behaviour around women and are afraid of comeuppance.

Blame the ā€œclownā€ who insinuated that only 50% of the population are at risk of assault.