Violence Against Women

It’s the violence against women thread. You can always start the anti violence thread that encompasses the whole population if that passionate about it.

2 Likes

It’s a scary thought because you hear it a lot.

Strangely enough, both the Eurydice Dixon and Aya Masarwe incidents happened near the two places I went to University (RMIT in Bundoora, and Melbourne University). I have walked through both areas late at night, many times intoxicated to a point where if I was assaulted I certainly couldn’t run and would struggle to fight back.

Yet, for me, it was never an issue of getting home safe. It was just kind of assumed that because I was a male, the chances of something happening were almost non-existent.

What gets me annoyed is after both incidents, part of the response has been “It’s not just females”. I agree, violence is a broader issue than simply one gender, but now is not the time to discuss it. It’s about trying to ensure that women can have the same assurance that I have, when I get caught at work late or am coming home from a drink up, that I don’t have to be fearful of being assaulted or killed on the way home.

4 Likes

Just to expend on what I meant here…

I’m not making a ‘not all men’ or ‘women can be violent too’ argument. At all.

I don’t think it’s even remotely comparable.

I’m talking about ‘how do we solve this problem?’

In my view, we can’t solve the violence against women issue, without solving the violence issue.

3 Likes
  • Everyone who is over 14yo is already a lost cause
  • Teach kids from a very young age that solving problems involves thinking about why your emotions are making you react like you do and talking the conflict through rather than hitting things (most primary schools practice mindfulness these days which is an enormous help with this).
  • Rinse and repeat for 60 years and it should be mostly sorted

Until then it’s harm minimisation, really

4 Likes

Was going to post something in here but forgot after I had to walk across the street after a group of women started walking towards me.

8 Likes

I know right

1 Like

Nice save!

(Seriously though, it wasn’t necessary, you’ve got enough credits in the bank that we already know you’re not crazy. I understood what you meant)

2 Likes

There’s an argument for much harsher sentencing.

It works in other countries, although it comes at the expense of certain liberties and democratic protections, so…

It’s still an argument I’d like to hear. If it turns out (again) that this latest bloke also has a long list of violent priors… Then I feel maybe it is time to think about more drastic measures from a legal perspective.

So do you cross the road because someone is walking behind you and you just don’t know if they’re following you?

Do you carry your keys in your hands to use as a weapon if needed?

Do you think about what you would do if attacked when out walking/running by yourself?

If you’re out by yourself do you spend half the time looking over your shoulder just so you can be sure there’s no one there?

Do you turn on location sharing on your phone so your partner knows where you are?

I know I sure do. And I also know that despite this if something happened to me large portions of society and media would blame ME for not being careful enough

When you need to do this then you can claim it’s 100%

6 Likes

That’s appalling.

And if the laws in the ACT are anything like the law over here, this poor fellow won’t be entitled to compensation or to have his legal expenses reimbursed.

His life and his parent’s lives are f*cked from this.

2 Likes

Devastating for him but important to remember that false rape claims sit at about the same as false claims for any other crime. So about 2%. Men are much more likely to get away with rape then be prosecuted wrongly for it

1 Like

One is enough, isn’t it?

It would certainly make the wider public think something has been done. But unfortunately no one perpetrating these acts think at the time that they will get caught and so the possibility of jail time doesn’t register. You could make it a 1,000 year minimum sentence but it wouldn’t change much.

2 Likes

Well he should have been more careful to not be in a situation where he could be falsely accused

/s

2 Likes

What, should he stay single all his life.

Why victim blame.

Yep. And dress modestly too.

He will. Or sexual priors.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, goes from never having committed a crime to a crime like this. There is always a build up. Always.

I agree with harsher sentencing. Totally. But the problem is that we as a society are not prepared to have the proper conversation that’s necessary to facilitate that.

And by that I mean - if you want to have harsher sentencing across the board for stuff like this then we probably need to build 6-7 new prisons. The issue is that whenever that’s suggested, the community never wants to pay for them (by an increase in taxes), they don’t want to go into debt to fund them (because debt = bad) and most of all they don’t want them built near where they live (and they have to go near where somebody lives!) Not to mention the increaed funding that would be needed for the courts, and legal aid etc.

Until we have a serious, adult conversation about those issues then we’ll never ever have harsher sentences.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true.

If we had harsher sentences, that Adrian Bayley C*nt would never have been back on the streets, and Jill Meagher would still be alive. (Just using that case as an example.)

This sh*t rarely happens in a place like Japan, and it’s not because they have better attitudes towards women.

Not true.

A little girl was assaulted and murdered by a bloke in a toilet at a suburban shopping centre over here several years ago. No prior history of violence or sexual deviancy.

He just seemingly got up one day and did it.

1 Like