Violence Against Women

We’re not on the same track here. I’m talking about entry level violence. Coward punches and such.

Yes, harsher sentencing may prevent re-offending, but it won’t do a lot to address garden variety violence.

People who murder, and especially instances like this, could not give a sh*t if a sentance was 1 or 1 million years. It wont change the outcome imo

4 Likes

There is a good argument for harsher sentencing. I recall the case of a pervert who managed to sexually assault two women and a man within weeks of being released on parole for several sexual related crimes.

Now, you can’t cage every sleaze for ever but chemical castration should be considered as a pre-requisite for release for committed weirdos.

1 Like

Bring back the death penalty for these scumbags

3 Likes

Yeah ok, I get ya.

I still somewhat disagree. If everybody who threw a coward’s punch (regardless of how severe the impact was) got some jail time… There would be less coward’s punches thrown.

No, It doesn’t address the underlying issue, but as you said… Harm minimisation.

2 Likes

If that is true then that is very very very much the exception to the rule and every law enforcement agency on earth would tell you that

It’s true.

And here is another one.

About 12 or so years ago, a woman was killed in her home in what appeared to be a random attack. A few weeks later, it happened again. On the third occasion the perpetrator was caught. Turned out to be a former medical student who had quit his studies but didn’t tell his parents. He would drive around to kill time so they didn’t suspect anything was awry.

No previous history of violence and was considered to be an upstanding member of the community.

Until he wasn’t.

These are just two recent examples from Perth.

Well that explains it then

1 Like

Spot on. Exactly what Jill Meagher’s partner stresses over and over. Labelling these acts and people as evil does nothing but create a tidy compartment for things we don’t accept people continue to do. Her murderer was a ‘normal’ guy - they are all normal guys until they are violent.

3 Likes

Japan, once again, presents a paradoxical case re: general violence vs domestic violence.

Japan has seen its fair share of horrific/violent crimes over the years, however, serious violent crime is extremely low on a per capita basis. Coming up to 16 years in Japan next month & I have never personally witnessed a single assault between two Japanese people. So, you raise an excellent point. That being, why is violent crime in a country such as Japan so low? It would make for a good doctoral thesis.

I don’t wish to delve too deeply into the matter, however, I feel there is a selfishness inherent in individualist cultures that impinges upon the ability to empathise & be respectful of others (compared with more collectivist cultures). A simple example. For Japanese, speaking loudly on a crowded train is shameful, as it most likely bothers others. And for the majority of modern Japanese, not bothering others is the key to social cohesion. Maintaining that harmony (which Japanese call ‘wa’) is highly valued in Japan and comes about through conformity to group norms. They are also taught that showing too much emotion (positive or negative) is a weakness & that real strength is determined by one’s ability to control their emotions. I have struggled with this on various levels over the years. Again, I am generalising, but thinking more about how our actions affect others, rather than simply achieving our own means, has plenty of merit. (*NB: this doesn’t apply to the DJ King thread, BTW). :wink:

So, while it is factually true that general violence in Japan (especially in public) is extremely low, Japan is not immune to the serious issue of domestic violence against women. Like most countries, I suspect the figures are massively underreported, however, one in four Japanese women suffered domestic violence at the hands of their spouses in 2015 (close to the WHO average of 30% in 2010), with one fatality every three days. DV cases also make up 1/5 of all violent crimes in Japan.

I must add here that anti-domestic violence laws in Japan cannot be compared with other countries. Police have very little authority and are massively reluctant to get involved. A few years ago, the geriatric next door tried to choke his wife to death. His dementia had worsened to the point that he had become violent towards his wife. Anyway, she managed to escape and I found her in her garden with a neck injury. Several police cars rocked up. The old coot barricaded himself inside his home and refused to come out. The police never tried to force entry and eventually left the scene. The elderly lady was forced out of her home from that night onwards and spent the next few years living in a small apartment somewhere, whereas my violent neighbour lived next door alone. A few months ago, he was forced out of their home by the courts, but it took several years and he never faced any charges for his domestic violence.

So, the paradox is that Japan has one of the lowest general violence rates in the world, but domestic violence rates approximate with global averages. Passive in public, violent at home? What is needed is a massive breakdown of the patriarchy, improved gender equality, education of boys at a young age how to treat women, and a significant strengthening of anti-domestic violence laws (and police powers).

12 Likes

Laugh it up, fuzzball…

But seriously. Outwardly straight people do bad things just like progressively Bad people do.

Maybe not as much, but it does occur.

Rubbish. You don’t need to feel scared in order for there to be a risk.

But to answer your question…

after being held against a wall by two people 20kgs heavier than me and told that I’d have my head bashed in unless I gave them money (while walking to the station to go to work, in broad daylight), I do worry if I see dodgy looking people walk towards me, or if people are behind me for long periods of time, or if it’s dark and I can see someone looking oddly at me. I exited my apartment a few weeks ago to walk to the shops but some dude was staring at me from across the road and started walking towards me so I promptly got back in the apartment- was he actually going to do anything to me? Probably not, but I sure felt fkg stupid after it though.

I would classofy what happened to me as an act of violence. And if what they threatened actually occured, that’d be a serious act of violence.

I took umberage to the post saying 50% of people because what about those poor men who actually do get bashed? King hit? Robbed? Stabbed? Don’t they exist? Am I fool for thinking that acts of violence can happen to me, for taking precautions, for being scared now because men are supposedly exempt from it, depsite me being a bees ■■■■ away from a potential serious beating?

3 Likes

Men are evil aren’t they.

2 Likes

Pathetic response.

1 Like

I remember reading somewhere that harsher penalties can lead to more violent crimes. That the harsher the penalty the more likely the offender will kill to avoid capture. Whether thats accurate or not, who knows, but the answers to these problems are never simple as just harsher penalties.

Hey Alex, you know that feeling of impending doom that you carry around with you every day as a result of what happened to you? Every woman carries that around with them, all the time, every single day of their lives. That’s the point. You’re a smart guy and I am absolutely sure that you understand this, so maybe ease up on the trolling yeah?

5 Likes

Chemical imbalance from eating sausages in bread rolls

1 Like

Good insight Mr Rain. Appreciate the detailed post.

1 Like

I’m not disputing that at all. It may be correct, it may be wrong, I dont know. But what I am confident in, is that there is a growing trend of people denying a males feelings/ thoughts, as shown by yours (calling me a troll) and megz (being sarcastic) posts which will only breed resentment and do nothing but push men back into their old insular ways where they keep everything bottled up, which historically has not been good for women.

2 Likes