Violence Against Women

And as far I’m concerned it’s 2% too many, just as it’s X% too many men that get away with rape.

Part of that is actually pretty reasonable I think. I’m not one of these “all men are responsible, fark men” people and I can see how that attitude/movement might breed resentment which may have negative results. I agree with you on that.

But there’s a difference between that sort of generalising (which I agree is not productive) and denying that women, in general, face a different level/scale of threat than men do. Which is what it seemed you were doing with your original post yesterday, which said that 100% of the population faced the same risk.

2 Likes

I’m not.
Just as clearly the posters in this thread cannot be that passionate about violence against women considering no one had posted in the thread for months.

Mate, what happened to you is horrible, and no one is trying to minimise it. (And I hope you’ve seen/continue to see a counsellor about it). However, when people discuss women’s feelings and the horrible violence that is all too often inflicted on them they are not denying your feelings. They are discussing something which is clearly a societal problem. Is it related to the overall problem of (predominantly male) violence? Yes. But it is also different and can be discussed without minimising violence that happens against men.

Do not see a thread about violence against woman as being in some way dismissing violence that has occurred against you. But also understand that it’s the place for you to listen and understand what the women around you are saying. Sure you shouldn’t have to feel that fear. But understand that women are telling you that the vast majority of them are feeling that every day of their lives. This is a thread to listen and understand. And if you were to start a thread about violence in general and how (and again it’s a toxic culture of violence) that is ruining society, I’m pretty sure there’s be a lot of people listening to you and agreeing with you.

6 Likes

Cheers Johnny, I was going to tag you when I mentioned Japan, but didn’t wanna drag you into this topic unless you wanted to.

Some good and interesting insights.

1 Like

I don’t see the battle against the violence perpetrated upon women as dismissing that done to men, not at all, but that remark certainly was, and thats all I have umberage with.

1 Like

Snowflake can’t take a joke?

When men get injured by random violence there’s a campaign (rightfully so) to rename a king hit to a cowards punch.

When a woman gets murdered it’s “what about men who suffer violence?”

All violence is bad. The campaign for stopping violence against women is seperate (and no less important) than campaign to end cowards punches. We don’t need the “what aboutism”

7 Likes

Absolute case in point to my previous post.

I explained to you in a pretty reasonable fashion why I didnt like the remark and that’s your opening line.

5 Likes

Recently I went on a mate’s bucks party. I usually keep a low profile at bucks party’s by making an appearance and then disappearing… simply because I think the behaviour of "the boys out on the pss" & macho bullsht is nothing short of a disgrace.

I decided to get along to this bucks party 3 months ago, simply because I knew the guys would keep it low key and generally be respectful at all the establishments that we went to. These guys are pretty socially conscious about the respect of women, because I’ve had these conversations with them.

All in all, the behaviour of this bucks party was nothing short of disgrace. Wolf whistling at girls walking down the street who are minding their own buissness. Telling women to show off their t!ts. Chanting and singing songs about ‘banging sl*ts’. They were honestly like animals.

At one stage I pulled the main instigator a side and told him ‘this behaviour is not on’, and he nearly punched me. By this stage I realised everyone was wasted… and completely past it. I went home, and I was absolutely furious.
I’ve had words with the Groom after the wedding celebrations about pulling his mates into line… and if these are the type of friends he wants in his life.

If men who are married, and often talking the talk about respecting women… can’t differentiate the talk from the behaviour, we have some significant issues in society.

9 Likes

Sorry. I’ve thought about this more and yes my response was off the cuff and not appropriate. This topic gets me angry but doesn’t mean I can be dismissive of your experiences.

What I should have said is, isn’t it awful that we live a society where other men feel the right/need to assert their physical dominance over someone else male or female. Maybe as a society we should work on the causes of that.

14 Likes

Clementine Ford does a good line in screen capturing disgraceful, hateful, sexist, degrading comments on anything she posts online by blokes with profile pictures of their wives and/or daughters.

A lot of people have a capacity to flick a switch from normal person to absolute neanderthal pig. And can’t analyse or recognise what they’re doing.

5 Likes

Ultimately people just want to do what to do what they want and ultimately society functions to prevent that and ultimately violence is necessary to enforce that prevention and ultimately men are better at violence.

That plays out from domestic violence to strategic bombing, but the underlying mechanism is usually the same.

We as a society do a bit and need to do more, no doubt. Problem is those in power just give this issue lip service. Renaming king hit to coward punch, yeah that will stop it. Ultimately it is up to the judges who dish out the penalties and those on parole to he held to account when lenient sentences are handed out or men out on parole re-offend.

1 Like

I agree.
However - if they aren’t on the streets, they aren’t hurting civilians, are they?
Also - if they are let out and are still the same person they were when they went in - then the same farking things are going to happen.

Is it a case of chicken-egg? Can we follow the Netherlands model where they are now closing prisons due to having less crime (due to better rehabilitation) or do we first need to get tougher before we get more lenient?

1 Like

Option A.

All the stats in all the countries show tough on anything doesn’t work, whether that is crime, drugs etc.

In Aus if you get caught drunk driving you have to attend a course. I’ve allways thought this should be mandatory for violent offences. Pick up the young drunk people or at the first stages of domestic violence and force them to do counseling/courses. It would cost money but have a much higher payoff.

5 Likes

Totally agree. The question is what you also do with those offenders who are now recidivists and in all likelihood past rehabilitation. I would say you increase sentences for those people with the aim or eventually reducing them as a more effective rehabilitation program kicks in.

Suspect in custody. Great work as always Vic Police.

3 Likes

It’s quite simple really, the punishment does not fit the crime. If you murder someone, you get a bullet to the head. I bet less people would do it.

Arrested guy is allegedly an 20 year old Aboriginal with a history of sex offences