We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

Richmond lose.
Essendon beat Hawthorn
Carlton lose
Essendon VFL won.

It’s been a good weekend

25 Likes

Also 1983 Grand Final - Colin Robinson punching Tim Watson in the face behind play to take him out of the game.

5 Likes

I thought our attitude was great. To me it seemed like a big change over the break. We celebrated success, even the small ones. We also held our own with the niggles.
I hope this continues.

18 Likes

That was one I was thinking of…but I attributed a couple to Brereton that he might have missed. He was more your general thug than just take out guys with criminal assault. I do remember once he snotted Danny Frawley that has clearly had lasting damage, seeing what Frawley does and says these days.

4 Likes

Anyone notice I. Smith giving lip to Guelfi just after he kicked for goal, thinking he missed. Only for the ball to swing back for goal, and Guelfi gave it back to him.

Lol…can’t stop watching it.

36 Likes

Arguably our most critical win. Withstood the onslaught and hard first half to run away comfortable winners

3 Likes

On average, they do a great job because they often don’t pay marks to us that go 15m.

@CharlieDons mckenna clips please.

2 Likes

Cool I understand, but the AFL Commission are trying to spread the game to other countries, particularly as sports content. (Rightly or wrongly) so are very sensitive to the profile of the game

This is why Goyder has actually said something publicly in a very rare instance.

I dont give a rats about the repute of the game. But the AFL does. Its about $$$$$

Dont tell Cyril, but I think Bruce has a bad case of Parish love.

Can someone GIF this. Could be gold.

1 Like

Picked up on it and commented in the game thread. Was ■■■■■■■ amazing

■■■■ that clip annoys me

You can hear the umpires say “Paul” I think 6 or 8 times.

If it’s not stopping him, what are they doing it for? If you’re not going to blow a whistle or pull out the report book, it’s a hollow threat - and just sounds embarrassing.

1 Like

Best one i ever came across was in the south of France. Looking lost and loudly asking, (do they know any other way?) Par-lay vouzzzzz American?

2 Likes

Hepp’s slowly turning into the Paddle Pop Lion.

7 Likes

What do you mean ‘slowly turning into’? I think he has achieved it.

3 Likes

Guelfi’s not backward in giving a bit of lip. Very happy to see the boys stand up for themselves. It’s something that’s been missing for a while.I hope it continues.

2 Likes

Good win by the club and, as a child of the 80’s, there is no club I enjoy beating more than Hawks. I thought the difference in class between the teams was clear and confirmed my belief that Hawks are very much on the slide. After so many years of dominance, a period of transition had to happen eventually. I thought Hawks lacked pace, skill and their forwardline is an even bigger shambles than ours.

Again Woosha used Clarke as a tagger early and that took JOM out of the game… he then adjusted the mix in the 3rd when we started to get on top. One of the best examples of tactical coaching from EFC all season. More of that please.

Thought that Smack and Laverde were super super super important for one thing… bringing the ball to the ground. They both competed in the air and were prepared to spoil if necessary… and suddenly it brings our ground speed into it. Far less watching balls get marked by loose defenders.

Parish is showing why I was jumping up and down when we got him (yes literally) as he is, finally, being played as a midfielder. Beautiful hands, great vision and really worked his way into the game. Add that to Shiel, Merrett and rotating Hepp, Smith etc etc… our midfield is well on the way to being good enough. Big tick.

Our defence is very solid and I love the move of Zaka back there. It seems to have really given the final piece of the puzzle and we look strong defensively as well as on the rebound. Saad and McKenna are amazing and look even better when playing a slow forwardline like Hawks. They were given far too much space to run and they took it. Exciting stuff.

We won, which is great, but that doesn’t excuse the abomination that was the umpiring. One of the worst displays of seen and that is in a year that has been diabolical. At least 5 goals absolutely gifted to Hawks and in fairness the one to Raz was soft but still a net 24-30pt difference. We obliterated them if not for the hair deficient imbeciles. Also the Stratton pinching crap - the umpire is watching a reportable offence happen and does nothing? Seriously… pay ONE free kick and that ends that. Where is the duty of care to Raz?? Why should he go to his workplace and have to put up with harassment that is outside the scope of his job?! Yes footy is a tough game and they are paid for that risk… but pinching a guy on the arm behind play is just a dog act and needs to be stamped on very quickly. It should have been stamped out when it was highlighted a fortnight ago. Second part, and previous posters have mentioned it, incidents like this do make me proud to be a bomber supporter. I may question the choice of Heppell as captain but at least I am very confident I will never have to see footage of him pinching players etc etc. We have been blessed for a long time of having exceptional humans represent us as captain. If I was a hawks supporter I would be embarrassed of Strattons actions.

Watching Friday night confirmed for me that we have the list, we have the cattle. It seems like we are maybe tweaking the tactics so who knows. I still think a long way to go to salvage this season and we need to be able to perform on the big stage against the better teams… but if we sort out the big picture stuff… exciting times ahead.

10 Likes

Smack should have been quicker at the time of the stomp and started hopping around in pain…then when he had enough attention from the cameras and the maggots and the coast was clear, slowly regain composure but not fully and run it out back to normal. That could have cost Stratton a heavier penalty.

1 Like

Centre square attendances this week, by quarter:

Clarke    4+6+6+7=23
Shiel     3+7+5+4=19
Merrett   1+4+5+3=13
Langford  2+2+2+3=9
Parish    1+0+5+2=8
Heppell   2+3+1+1=7
Stringer  2+0+0+0=2
TIPPA     0+2+0+0=2
McGrath   0+0+0+1=1

Clarke’s opponent:

O’Meara        3+2+3+4=12
Shiels         1+2+2+1=6
Cousins        0+2+0+0=2
Worpel         0+0+1+1=2
Burgoyne       0+0+0+1=1
Not in centre  1+2+2+0=5

Outcomes:

Clearance assist by Clarke (shepherd)
O’Meara kicks ball out of air, unstoppable
Clarke stops O’Meara by tackle
Shiels, his opponent, assists a clearance
Clearance by Clarke
Clearance by Clarke
O’Meara stops Clarke by tackle
Shiel feeds Clarke, but his kick away is poor
Rising Star Award Nomination

(Ha, forward Langford present more often than inside mid Parish.)

12 Likes