We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

I think Langford is playing as a mid more than a forward. Mid who rests forward… I mean in the modern game it probably doesn’t matter as they all rotate through and stuff but I think Langford spent a big chunk of time ‘on ball’.

A few people have mentioned that Woosha was much more animated on the bench that usual. Any particular moments?

Just started watching the replay and the first minute sums up why supporters are so frustrated with this game.

• A hawk gets a clearance from the first bounce and delivers the ball forward and just as he kicks it Stringer puts a fingernail on him. The result is a kick down field and hawks kick a goal.

• The very next play Merrett takes a mark on the wing after a clearance from Sheil and then clearly late Impey comes in and decks Merrett with a punch to the back of the head. The result is a free to Merrett but in the meantime Hawks have flooded back and we are actually disadvantaged.

The head is sacrosanct.

6 Likes

For me, don’t think he was animated, but he certainly was involved.

I thought the downfield against Stringer was pretty obvious.

The free against Shiel later in the first was pretty obvious too…although Tippa wouldn’t have got it.

Saad should be (but won’t) an absolute lock for the All Australian. Best small defender in the game.

3 Likes
16 Likes
Stratton not the only culprit in pinch, punch, stomp saga

The blame game needs to start with the pincher and puncher himself, Ben Stratton.

But it should quickly head to two sets of umpires, and his coach Alastair Clarkson.

What Hawk captain Stratton did to Essendon’s Orazio Fantasia on Friday night, when he pinched him relentlessly, leaving him badly bruised on the back of his left upper arm, was actually not all that different to the same embarrassing, punching treatment he gave Lion Charlie Cameron in his previous match.

Orazio Fantasia was left with bruises to the back of his left arm. Picture: Channel Seven

On that occasion, which actually happened on the first day of June – remember the saying: pinch, punch, first day of the month – a field umpire ridiculously laughed when he saw Stratton punching Cameron, who was left just as badly bruised as Fantasia.

Umpires on that night did nothing, and again on Friday night, despite being made aware of the pinching of Fantasia, allowed it to go without penalty.

Embedded video

AFL.com.au :heavy_check_mark: @AFLcomau

Pinching and pushing.

How have you perceived Stratton’s treatment to Fantasia? #AFLDonsHawks

10:05 PM - Jun 14, 2019

460 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Surely, the AFL football department needs today to reprimand all umpires involved in the Hawks’ past two matches. It is understandable if one or two off-the-ball pinches or punches are missed, but not if it goes on for an entire match.

Since Fantasia admirably spoke publicly about his treatment by the Hawks skipper, Stratton himself and club CEO Justin Reeves have said it is not what they stand for.

This is not the sort of thing he or we want to be known for and he understands the need to adjust his behaviour moving forward

Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves

But Clarkson clearly knew what Stratton did to Cameron, and given his captain thought he could go into his very next game with a similar niggling plan, he either didn’t raise it with him properly, or didn’t raise it at all.

Stratton should be suspended for two weeks by the Tribunal this week – one for his treatment of Fantasia, and one for his foot stomp on Bomber Shaun McKernan

1 Like

Assuming this is from Barrett, looks like he’s right for once, to call out Clarkson.

Not sure we’ve seen a statement from Kennett or Clarkson, usually so vocal and cocksure.

Also, no apology to Raz, not from the Hawks, AFL or umpires. Just all about the impact to their own image, nothing for a fellow employee.

18 Likes

Unsociable footy, was always Hawks mantra

1 Like

So how many weeks do we expect Stratton to get?
I think one, plus a fine for the stomping.

Likely to be a week for stomping and a fine for pinching.

4 Likes

Good point THT Perhaps they are waiting for the outcome of the tribunal. Even so, it has never stopped them being vocal other times.

Yes. When a spider crawled up his leg.

1 Like

The best bit about the Stratton incidents is that Hawks are boxed in a corner. Both incidents were caught very clearly on camera and Stratton has no defence. Add the Cameron incident from 2 weeks ago and it’s case closed. I’m not surprised big mouth Kennett is unusually silent.

1 Like

The Hawks CEO had a crack at him though. That’s good to see.

Did anyone listen to zaharkis interview
He said that Steven Baker used to do similar to him early in his career, and Stanton always received that sort of treatment, ie hits off the ball, its just something Fantasia needs to work through, would be surprised if he received a week, been happening in footy forever when umpires not watching.

I think its low, and never had it happen to me ever playing school/lower league football, sure there is bumping/pushing shoving, the odd melee, but not pinching

1 Like

Absolutely pathetic that Clarkson did not front the media today after all of this but instead sent funny man Smith. He may not ‘usually’ do the Monday media but he should have done this one. I’m thinking he didn’t want to have to lie barefaced to them about not knowing about it happening previously. Weak as …

He’ll definitely get weeks. Might be 2/3 with stomping.

1 Like

No, it’s horseshit.

This is just the window dressing

It’s because they don’t want a coach or whatever role Kennett is to comment on a player.

So they roll out some no body that the players really don’t care about.

Kennett and Clarkson will be supporting him to the hilt, and publicly saying ‘I can’t comment, he’s not that sort of bloke, cop his whack, let’s move on’ when behind the scenes they will have endorsed and encouraged this.

3 Likes