We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

As obvious things go, that is way up there.

1 Like

L.O.L

2 Likes

Based on post-gate, I would have expected that Stratton would have received 2 warnings from the ump, and during the week the AFL to say that everything was fine.

Edit: And despite the ump not giving Fanta a free kick and the AFL saying everything was fine, Stratton will be fined.

1 Like

Midfield frequency stats from the match. This is an overall summary of how often our players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 28 Bounces

D.Clarke 23 (O’Meara 18)
Heppell 21 (15w, 6i)
Shiel 21 (2w)
Guelfi 16 wing
Merrett 16 (3w)
McGrath 15 (14w, 1i)
Langford 9
Parish 8
Zaka 5 wing
Stringer 2
Walla 2
Begley 2 wing

Rucks:
T-Bell 23
McKernan 5

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Shiel 5
Merrett 4
D.Clarke 2
Langford 1
Parish 1
T-Bell 1
McKernan 1

1st Half - 13

D.Clarke 10
Shiel 10
Heppell 10 (5w, 5i)
Guelfi 8 wing
Merrett 7 (5i, 2w)
McGrath 7 wing
Langford 4
Zaka 3 wing
Stringer 2
Walla 2
Parish 1
Begley 1 wing

T-Bell 11
McKernan 2

2nd Half - 15

D.Clarke 13
Shiel 11 (2w)
Heppell 11 (10w, 1i)
Merrett 9 (1w)
Guelfi 8 wing
McGrath 8 (7w, 1i)
Parish 7
Langford 5
Zaka 2 wing
Begley 1 wing

T-Bell 12
McKernan 3

Notes:

• For the most part we actually got away from the wing starting off the back of the square convoluted mess they’ve favoured. I only counted it happening twice.
  • Fewest rotations in analysed games for Zaka (9 of 12 analysed this year - ~50 Essendon games analysed over 4 seasons) without an injury
  • The last time Guelfi attended more than 50% of bounces in analysed game was Anzac Day - only the Rd 9 game hasn’t been analysed since.

@Crazy_Bomber

9 Likes

Bit rich of Clarko to complain of trial by media over Stratton. He was more than happy to pile in over Hird and Essendon on the saga before there was an adjudication (if you can call it that)…

26 Likes

I’m glad you saw what I did there.

1 Like

Awesome. Go Woosha!!!

Someone tell Gilbert Gottfried that he cant be playing grab ■■■ these days…

Serious question. Is there anyone in the comp who gets tackled, and/or hit in the head more than Merrett?

1 Like

I’m surprised he hasn’t missed more footy.

‪http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-17/like-sandpapergate-clarko-slams-stratton-pinching-hysteria‬

Clarkson defending this idiot, seeking to paint him as a victim is the biggest pile of ■■■■. It Stratton wasn’t an AFL footballer he’s the exact type of flog that would end up killin someone win a coward punch. He’s ■■■■■■■ piece of ■■■■ and I’d like to see him made an even bigger example of after admitting that he’s been doing it for a long time. Again, lower than dog ■■■■■ on a filthy grubs belly.

6 Likes

The umpires should cop the same criticism as Stratton. To laugh off an offence, which is reportable in the rulebook is pathetic.

Clear they don’t know it’s in the rule book (just like the goalpost saga), or they’re ignoring it and adding their own ‘judgement’ to what decisions they make.

Eitherway, it’s unproffessional. And a violation to the job they’re suppose to be doing.

10 Likes

Selwood? Puopolo? Walla? (not that he gets the free kicks for them.) Walters?

Hang on so their CEO comes out and says it’s not on, the MRP refers it straight to tribunal & was a reportable offence on game day but Clarko wants to defend it. GAGF

Hopefully Stratton just embarrasses himself even more with whatever he plans to say at tribunal to paint situation in different light

5 Likes

Trial by media for people in the public eye for a living is a myth IMO. If your job involves being in the public eye and you don’t like it, change jobs. If you’re a flog and you happen to work in a very visible role like AFL players, guess what, you’re gonna get called a flog. Don’t like it? Find something else to do. It’s not a one off incident and it’s not one type of shirt carnt behaviour. Like they say, the stuff you walk past is the stuff you condone. In this instance the AFL cannot walk past it, but Clarko is claiming he would, making Clarko a flog as well.

I’m fired up.

2 Likes

Smart Clarko. Compare it to the cheating cricketers.

Is he saying pinchy should be suspended for 12 months?

9 Likes

I think he’s saying Stratton should cop 9 months, and Clarko and maybe their president should cop 12 months and banned from all leadership positions thereafter.

I agree whole-heartedly.

3 Likes

Or O’Meara
Dont want to give it to Mtichell only for him to do his acl again.

Mitchell has/had a broken leg.