Welcome to Essendon, Zachary Merrett

It isn’t every day that you get the chance to draft a player with Merrett’s clean hands, decision making and skills via foot let alone them having good pace to go with it.

Has all the attributes to be the complete package.

I'd like to know the knocks on Merrett's game. Why isn't he a top 10 player? Initially I was disappointed with this selection, because I wanted Dumont, but I've been reading and he sounds good, so I'm pleased. I'm hoping for good things. Averaged 22 disposals which is outstanding, I'm glad we got a high possession ball winner, and I'm hoping he can play some 1st next year.

Knocks on him are mostly that he's skinny, lacks maybe a bit of engine and a bit of consistency, and has spent a lot of time as a HFF rather than pushing into the middle more. Would like to see more of an inside game from him. Also his TAC stats in particular are padded a bit due to playing in a very strong midfield at the Dragons, with Kelly, Salem, freeman, and Amon.
If he'd done consistently what he's shown he CAN do from time to time, he might push top 10. He's an upside pick.
I'm yet to be convinced he was a solid pick for needs purposes, but i'll wait til the rookie draft before i start chucking any wobblies over that. I rate him higher than I did Jackson, anyway.

I'd like to know the knocks on Merrett's game. Why isn't he a top 10 player? Initially I was disappointed with this selection, because I wanted Dumont, but I've been reading and he sounds good, so I'm pleased. I'm hoping for good things. Averaged 22 disposals which is outstanding, I'm glad we got a high possession ball winner, and I'm hoping he can play some 1st next year.

Knocks on him are mostly that he's skinny, lacks maybe a bit of engine and a bit of consistency, and has spent a lot of time as a HFF rather than pushing into the middle more. Would like to see more of an inside game from him. Also his TAC stats in particular are padded a bit due to playing in a very strong midfield at the Dragons, with Kelly, Salem, freeman, and Amon.
If he'd done consistently what he's shown he CAN do from time to time, he might push top 10. He's an upside pick.
I'm yet to be convinced he was a solid pick for needs purposes, but i'll wait til the rookie draft before i start chucking any wobblies over that. I rate him higher than I did Jackson, anyway.

Considering last night, who/what do you want in the rookie draft now HM?

For us though, we really need outside runners who can kick well. We have a decent set of inside mids in Watson & Goddard (older I know), Hocking, Melksham, Hepple (probably forgot one or two) so a good outside runner with a decent kick is kind of what we need at the moment.

I always thought we needed an outside mid more than an inside mid*.

*Only we also needed a small forward more than an outside mid, a tall forward more than a small forward, and a ruck more than a tall forward.... but meh...

What are his draft combine figures, to tell us more about him? Not just decision-making please…

I'm on the record as believing we need to prioritise inside mids over outside mids all other things being equal.  You draft for the side you want in three years.  Of the younger guys, Colyer, Gleeson, Ashby, Merrett (both of them), Dalgleish, Edwards, Aylett, Zaka are all outside runners.  Heppell, Melk, Kav and Browne can all go either inside or out, but none are dedicated fearsome clearance machines.  Watson ain't getting any younger.

In the rookie draft I think a ruck option is an absolute necessity.  Not even any room for argument there. 

As for the other pick, I'm kinda agnostic.  In my book we need (structurally) an inside mid, a ruckman, and probably a tall forward as well, and there's no way we're going to get all them (as well as TIPPA) with two rookie picks.  So go once we've taken the ruck, go best available of anyone who fits the bill with the remaining pick.  Whether that's Heppell, Owen, Reynolds, Conlon, Tsitas, or someone I've never even heard of, not too fussed.  But we do have to think needs and list structure at this point, as best we can.

Agree HM.  Think that is why Caddy/Adams/Tyson etc have been targeted as heavily as we had & also why Crouch was in our sights as well.   

Hams is the young absolute inside mid.

I still disagree with passing on Taylor but there is nothing that can be done. I hope Merrett can prove me wrong and have an impact.

Putting that disagreement to the side, there is still plenty to be excited about with Merrett. The three terms I keep hearing about Merrett are footy brain, poise, damaging by foot. He could become a good player (Taylor can be a special player).

Just watching the highlights, you can feel there is something special about him. Can't wait for him to debut. 

Forgot about him.  But we need at least one more.

I'm not sure why it's really *that* much of an issue, given we've been trying to jam Howlett onto a forward flank & Myers into a tagging/sweeping role for a few years and neither have really worked. In 3 years, when Watson drops off, both will be 27 ish. Melks will be 25, Heppell 24 - just hitting their straps, which gives us 2-3 years to find the 2015 equivalent of guys who are playing the Myers/Howlett/Melksham (2nd tier) inside mid roles.

May well be Kav, Zaha, Browne, Hams etc - might not be.

Sure, we could do with another young Watson coming through

Like every club, ever.

I just don't see the impending catastrophe.

If this club does anything well at all, it's finding/developing nuts'n'bolts types.

Just watching the highlights, you can feel there is something special about him. Can't wait for him to debut. 

I think a half forward spot is up for grabs. It isn't to far fetched to think he could end up in our best 22. It all depends on how quickly he can adjust to AFL football because all the talk seems to be he is really damaging in the forward line. The addition is Chapman in the team is going to help.

I'm not sure why it's really *that* much of an issue, given we've been trying to jam Howlett onto a forward flank & Myers into a tagging/sweeping role for a few years and neither have really worked. In 3 years, when Watson drops off, both will be 27 ish. Melks will be 25, Heppell 24 - just hitting their straps, which gives us 2-3 years to find the 2015 equivalent of guys who are playing the Myers/Howlett/Melksham (2nd tier) inside mid roles.

Like every club, ever.

If this club does anything well at all, it's finding/developing nuts'n'bolts types.

Unfortunately we don't have any early picks. When we get a first round pick again, we can target that player. Taylor could have been that guy, but it isn't like we are in trouble or need for the next Watson. Heppell is only in his 4th year next season, I think we can wait a bit.

We may be in a position where we can get a high pick with Ryder or Bellchambers DEPENDING on how quickly Daniher improves. The Pies ended up with 2 top 10 picks

Like every club, ever.

Unfortunately we don't have any early picks. When we get a first round pick again, we can target that player. Taylor could have been that guy, but it isn't like we are in trouble or need for the next Watson. Heppell is only in his 4th year next season, I think we can wait a bit.

We may be in a position where we can get a high pick with Ryder or Bellchambers DEPENDING on how quickly Daniher improves. The Pies ended up with 2 top 10 picks

Yes, we should trade out talls. Good.

I think a half forward spot is up for grabs. It isn't to far fetched to think he could end up in our best 22. It all depends on how quickly he can adjust to AFL football because all the talk seems to be he is really damaging in the forward line. The addition is Chapman in the team is going to help.
It'll be ironic if he takes his brother's spot :lol:

Like every club, ever.

Thank Christ you're not our list manager

dave myers is only 24.......

I know the thread seems to have moved on but I'm really happy about this.

I'd just assumed he'd go earlier. When I heard we got him... I was pumped.

He sounds like he could be a great player. And being Jacksons brother - that is the stuff real clubs are built on.