What annoys you? Extra time

my aunt lives in Melbourne - that’s just too weird

1 Like

20 years and yes. Not sure i necessarily want to work at this place but I need job application and interview experience. Hahaha.

so nothing since this?

1 Like

Only 1 since then! All of these were internal though. :grimacing:

i had a perusal of that thread and

1. some very good advice
  2. good amount of amusement

good luck with it

1 Like

Consider yourself warned…

1 Like

They ended up offering me that role on 2 occasions but I declined. Not for me. I don’t even dislike where I work. I am just worried working so long at once place these days isn’t looked upon as favourably in years gone by. I’m just trying to remain up skilled and employable for as long as I can.

1 Like

My opinion, for what it’s worth - if at your interview, your interviewers do not do what they can to put you at ease and make it easy for you to be yourself, are friendly and encouraging - then it’s probably not a place you’d want to work.

5 Likes

So much this. Culture really is everything and it’s never more evident than at the interview stage.

It’s just as much you interviewing them as them you. The greater effort they put into ensuring they are hiring not only the right skill set but the right fit for the team, the more confidence you can have in your decision.

3 Likes

If people don’t want me to work for them that’s their loss. I have an excellent resume and write really half arsed cover letters. I expect companies that are serious about attracting top end talent to see past those crappy formalities and talk to me in person.

You think that increases your chances, eh…

1 Like

so far so good :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m not big on cover letters. Some people just present better in person or verbally, as long as they suit the role and the cover letter doesn’t confirm them as a moron then I’m happy to book a call and seek some confirmation. I filter harder based on a chat.

But I’ve got time on my hands and quite enjoy the recruitment process so that may impact.

1 Like

Well, this is the issue…

4 Likes

Here’s the thing with a cover letter. It demonstrates commitment and engagement, two things I reckon are pretty important in a new hire.

I want to someone has taken the time to research the requirements of the role and can demonstrate their skills align. Minimum.

It doesn’t have to be a novel, it does need to be relevant, grammatically correct and not contain any spelling errors. Extra points if it’s addressed to me personally.

3 Likes

100%, if they dont seem to care about making the process easy for you, you can probably bet your bottom dollar thats how theyll treat you in the workplace more generally.

On the flipside, being yourself isnt just a stupid throwaway line either. I think its important for your prospective employer to be able to make an assessment on who you are and choose to either employ you or not based on that.

I generally take a very laid back approach to job interviews. If they dont like the way I present, thats on them. I cant be ■■■■■■ being in a workplace where I have to filter myself or constantly check if I am conforming to their expectations of myself. That, for me, is more draining than the actual work.

1 Like

Yes, while for some it means they can write a fancy cover letter because they know what boxes I want ticked. For others it shows they are willing to say whatever I want to hear because they are desperate for a job, any job. For others it shows a weakness, that may not actually have any impact on their ability to perform the role.

For me it is an initial barrier, but certainly not a big one.

To expand on that - for me, it is not so much the mastery of the language that concerns me, but two other things in particular. Firstly, the ability to make yourself understood. Secondly, should that be a personal issue - to seek help.

Of course - there are different priorities for different occupations. In my industry - communication is kinda paramount. I am not so much interested in education level or literary skills - however, being able to communicate in the best way, with anyone you may be dealing with while working for me - is extremely important.

Exactly right. It’s similar to all relationships. Go in with a mask, and you’re inviting trouble.

I think we’ll agree to disagree.

For example if I were applying for an admin job I could choose a couple of examples from my previous roles where I have managed challenging tasks ie competing properties or a sensitive client issue.

That’s not box ticking. It’s showing my ability to understand and perform the role.

1 Like