What Annoys You More

What annoys me is stubbing my little toe. Oh the pain
Then stubbing the same little toe at least 5 times in the following days.
Ouch

2 Likes

I guess it’s all relative

5 Likes

Does it hurt more to stub your toe or stub your stump?

1 Like

Depends how you define “stump”.

3 Likes

Footy Shows.
I used to love them - now I just see through their schmultz.
I got Kayo the other night and tried to watch a few of the shows for the first time in many years- but couldn’t stomach more than a few minutes of any of them.

4 Likes

Well, … I’ve never actually stubbed my “stump”, … but I’m betting it would be much, much worse. Brrr …

1 Like

Not fit for purpose.
Hammer them.

“ Under the Australian Consumer Law, certain consumer guarantees apply automatically, including that a product must be reasonably fit for any purpose specified by the customer and agreed by the seller.

If a product is not fit for a specified purpose, the consumer is entitled to a remedy. The type of remedy depends on whether the problem is major or minor.

Major problems

The product does not do a specific job or achieve a specific purpose agreed at the time of buying, and the problem cannot be fixed easily and within a reasonable time.”

[rant]
Remixing/remastering.
I’ve gone off about this before, and had people telling me I’m crazy (I am crazy, but not about this).
I don’t mind if artists choose to do it with best-ofs, but to do it to original albums, particularly when they replace original albums, is just farking vandalism.
I’m not remembering it wrong.
They are different.

That the remaster is utter ■■■■ is not the point.
This is the only version available of the album track on Spotify.
It’s just wrong.
[/rant]

That Spotify version is not new - it’s the album version which was released on their self-titled album in 1987. Is it inferior to the single version - you betcha!! With the benefit of hindsight, the band themselves have pretty much acknowledged the original was better.
The only one of their compilations they were actively involved in (“The Best Things” released on Mushroom Remasters a few years ago) used the original single versions of both Great Wall and Hands Up In The Air (which was also slightly remixed for the debut album, albeit less intensively…)

1 Like

lol.
I just listened to Her Charity and it appears to be untouched, so I must concede the point.

My hate now goes to whoever mixed the song for the album.
Dicks.

Yep. Same here. Couldn’t do it. It’s an hour/hour + a 1/2 of wankoff.

I think it was actually the band themselves. Those two singles were produced by Steve Brown whereas the album was done by Alex Sadkin. The remixes were a (failed) attempt at making them fit better sonically with the other album tracks.
I have the same issue with Mi-S ex compilation albums. Every single one of them has a handful of tracks (including Computer Games) where the original drums have been replaced by a clunky drum machine. None of them are better than the original versions…

1 Like

People listen to BCO? Originals or remixes are best avoided.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really get that justification.
The original mix of Great Wall sits much better with tracks like City Flat and Her Charity.
HUITA was always a bit trebly and extended mixy, but if you were going to make them fit better you’d make them more pub rock and less tinny, which is Not what they’ve done.

Edit: That reverb on the vocal. fans face with an intricate lace…um…fan, I’m not sure I shall ever recover.

Agree with you 100%.
Courtesy of their guitarist I’ve got a copy of the demos for the 1st album. Steve Brown’s work is much, much closer to the demos than Alex Sadkin’s, which is an unfortunate reminder of late 80’s production excesses…

1 Like

That’s a good get.
sidebar: Part of the band were allegedly (according to her/our…producer?) going to be the house band for LMW’s demo that never happened, a few years ago.

1 Like

That would’ve almost certainly been Pete (Farnan) and possibly the drummer (Peter Maslen). PF has a real fondness for producing female singer-songwriters and vocalists.
Could also have been the current BCO bass-player (he and Mas are Mark Seymour’s current rhythm-section).

Pete was incredibly generous with sharing his time and his archive of unreleased BCO stuff - I’ve got about a dozen disks worth!

Wow.
That’s awesome.

I really wish it could have happened.
The recorder/mixer/producer was Steve Vertigan.
Lovely, lovely guy, but in the end he lost patience with her, and to be honest…us with him.

As a teen girl she needed (and expected) ‘nope, do it again.’
Not someone who spent a very large part of the session being distracted by something shiny and wanting to talk about it.

Seriously nice bloke, though.

1 Like

If she’s still involved in music and has something to send through for him to hear, it might be worth her getting in touch with Pete through his Facebook page (Pesky Bones) or Linkedin.
Obviously I don’t know her genre, but he seems to favour that sweet-girly voiced alt-pop/rock sort of singer (think Ali Barter, who I think he did some production for in her early days) if that’s her bag. Rachael Kane’s Happy Messy Love (minor radio hit in the early 00’s) was his production too.
Don’t know whether he’s doing much production work these days though - seems to do a lot of theatre-scoring, and his own Pesky Bones stuff.

She’s focusing on musical theatre now.
And she’s pretty focused on it, I don’t know that she’d go back to that sort of pop singing.
But I really do appreciate the reference.