What annoys you?

But it was before the War !

Wellā€¦the Vietnam War was still going onā€¦not from our point of view though. 1973-74.

I remember that place around then, and was never that cheap for me. Who did you know ?

By the way, donā€™t think they do lasagna and semifreddo now

Itā€™s not even close in nature to the old Campari. I reckon the family sold out mid 90s. A Chinese guy bought it, kept the staff and the menu, and then it went all nouveau. Then it closed and they used it as the location for an ABC detective show, then it reopened in a new style.

Used to be a great Spag Marinara, then they did it with mussels in the shell, small serves, higher prices.

Iā€™ve been going to Pellegrinis for close on 20 years. Used to see a lot of old Labor guys thereā€¦Crean, Kelty, Jones, Jenkins.

I used to go to Pelligrinis but reckon it went off a bit.

Did you ever dog to Jamacia House in Lygon Street, now that was a Restuarant !

carrot in fried rice.

By the time i got told about it, it was gone.

Almost the same with Enriā€™s, the Argentinian restaurant in Fitzroy then Richmond. Went there after a Grand Final and thought it was pretty good. Next Grand Final, we went there again and it was gone.

Pellegrinis certainly isnā€™t as well patronised as well as it was 10 years ago, but I think the standard is still there.

Enriā€™s was mad. BYO boxes of booze to a christmas party no probs. Dancing on the tables, doing the limbo dance, waiters squirting the drinks across the table into your gob via the big water pistol, stinking of garlic the next day. No rules at all.

Jamaica house was in Harker St, North Melbourne ages ago (70s?), donā€™t remember it being in Lygon St.

Jamacia House was always in Lygon Street, started in 1966 by Stephanie Alexnder and her husband Monty. The first Time I went there was 1972, when it was upstairs near the Universal Pizza on the west side of Lygon. It then moved across the road up closer to Grattan Street and then moved further down towards Queensbury Street. It was then owned and run by Monty, a Jamacian and Jim, a Greek. It was the haunt of the West Indies Cricket team, and had the hottest curries on this earth, and the best pepper steaks.

Iā€™m confused now. Iā€™m sure there was a Jamaica something on Harker St. My folks went there with Jamaican friends that advised them to name me Hamish :laughing:

Edit. Itā€™s the Great Australian Bite Iā€™m thinking of. No idea how I have it confused with Jamaica House.

Great Australian Bite was a good restaurant. I remember sitting there in February 1983, watching the black ashes from the Ash Wednesday Bush Fires floating down like black snowflakes. It was it was the end of the world and sadly for many it was.

Pellegrinis is pretty average, letā€™s be honest.

Itā€™s for the nostalgophiles.

2 Likes

And the mafia warlords

Just had some lady try to cut in front of me on the train when I pushed the button to open the door and get on. Proceeds to shake her head. Just shake my head back at her. Some peopleā€¦

com-resize-3

1 Like

I thought they were still in Lygon St

And, of course, Princes Park.

Nope, only the UnderLords are in Lygon Street.

Some guy full on gave me a deliberate 2-handed push off to get to a seat on the train a week or so back. There were other seats on the train too. He said some crap about me being too slow despite me waiting for the person already seated to make some room for me to get in.

Ambulance Victoria call through serious cases through to EDā€™s on CB Radio so they can prepare.
Theyā€™ve started (this year) to refuse to give name and date of birth for any patients other than stroke or cardiac arrest due to privacy reasons.
And I kind of get that.
I know there are people out there who just listen.
And when I say I kind of get that, I mean to say that I totally donā€™t.
If itā€™s serious enough to need immediate attention then itā€™s serious enough to say screw the privacy considerations.

1 Like