What should we get with our picks?

One thing that I will say about McGrath which is really important, is that he will have no problem transitioning to the elite training and diet standards that are required at AFL level.

He is already practicing those standards.

Cadel Evans gave a fascinating insight into those juniors in cycling that were more talented than him and would win most of the races at that time.

Cadel, whilst not as talented, had to accept that he had to train harder and smarter in order to win, let alone compete.

What he said happened is, as they came through together, many of the naturally gifted riders dropped off because they didn’t have the discipline/work ethic required to match it with ‘the big boys’.

Cadel was able to transition into the senior competitions, and the rest is history.

So this idea that McGrath has hit his ceiling, yet McLugg has more upside, is perhaps not being viewed from all angles.

What if McLuggage IS getting by on raw talent. What if he IS more gifted than McGrath?

But what if, under the strict regime that’s required by an AFL player, he finds that he’s unable to find the required work ethic to get to the elite fitness levels?

Makes alot of sense now why there are so many busts from star juniors that seemed to have it all.

Food for thought anyway.

So, you reckon there’s a slim chance people are talking ■■■■, eh?
Hmmmm.
Interesting. Never would have believed it.

One thing that I will say about McGrath which is really important, is that he will have no problem transitioning to the elite training and diet standards that are required at AFL level.

Cadel Evans gave a fascinating insight into those juniors in cycling that were more talented than him and would win most of the races at that time.

Cadel, whilst not as talented, had to accept that he had to train harder and smarter in order to win, let alone compete.

What he said happened is, as they came through together, many of the naturally gifted riders dropped off because they didn’t have the discipline/work ethic required to match it with ‘the big boys’.

Cadel was able to transition into the senior competitions, and the rest is history.

So this idea that McGrath has hit his ceiling, yet McLugg has more upside, is perhaps not being viewed from all angles.

What if McLuggage IS getting by on raw talent. What if he IS more gifted than McGrath?

But what if, under the strict regime that’s required by an AFL player, he finds that he’s unable to find the required work ethic to get to the elite fitness levels?

Makes alot of sense now why there are so many busts from star juniors that seemed to have it all.

Food for thought anyway.

Hmmmm.

Sarcastic ■■■■

Food for thought anyway.

Hmmmm.

Sarcastic ■■■■

Hey - call me a ■■■■ if you like, but I put my foot down at ‘sarcastic’, ok?

Anyone from the northern knights is our usual pick

Funnily enough, Chris Judd was actually a fairly average kick for a large part of his playing career. Especially post WC.

Is that when he was on the park or off it?
He shot it straight where it counted!

Funnily enough, Chris Judd was actually a fairly average kick for a large part of his playing career. Especially post WC.
But he was an elite chicken wing!

Caught a good bird hey

Really don’t want Marshall. I’ve seen a few of his games, lacks effort and reminds me on Liam jones.

Really don't want Marshall. I've seen a few of his games, lacks effort and reminds me on Liam jones.
I'm with ta there. My bias views aside, I'd much prefer Joshy Battle. He has been told by Adelaide that he will get a 3 year contract if they draft him
Really don't want Marshall. I've seen a few of his games, lacks effort and reminds me on Liam jones.
I'm with ta there. My bias views aside, I'd much prefer Joshy Battle. He has been told by Adelaide that he will get a 3 year contract if they draft him

You may not be able to say, but do you know if the rumoured intention of Port Adelaide to draft him with one of their two first rounders is true?

Marshall at 20 is a great get. I rate him higher than Harry McKay who was a top 10 pick.

Marshall at 20 is a great get. I rate him higher than Harry McKay who was a top 10 pick.

Honest question, what do you see him doing?

For me hes just underwhelming.

To me he has enormous upside and has been judged very unfairly for being tired at the end of a long season with no preseason. He has just started concentrating on his Footy now as he has been heavily into cricket (Zerrett was in the same boat). Remember that cricketers have a very different and much lighter conditioning program than footballers do. He is fairly quick, is a very good overhead mark, has good agility, is clean below his knees, provides great tackling pressure and is both a great field kick as well as reliable shot for goal.

Was he poor in the All Stars game? Absolutely. So was Ainsworth who is looming as a top 3 pick.

Did he have a poor GF? Yep. But he did kick 5 the week before. Players are allowed to get tired. Brodie was a shell of the player he was in the TAC final series as he was in the Champs.

Marshall has all the tools to be a beauty but has not put it together yet. Because of that he is not a top 10 pick. But he is a top 15, so getting him at 20 would be great.

Coming out of this draft with the best player in the draft and the best KPF (by a mile) in the draft would be an exceptional result.

To me he has enormous upside and has been judged very unfairly for being tired at the end of a long season with no preseason. He has just started concentrating on his Footy now as he has been heavily into cricket (Zerrett was in the same boat). Remember that cricketers have a very different and much lighter conditioning program than footballers do. He is fairly quick, is a very good overhead mark, has good agility, is clean below his knees, provides great tackling pressure and is both a great field kick as well as reliable shot for goal.

Was he poor in the All Stars game? Absolutely. So was Ainsworth who is looming as a top 3 pick.

Did he have a poor GF? Yep. But he did kick 5 the week before. Players are allowed to get tired. Brodie was a shell of the player he was in the TAC final series as he was in the Champs.

Marshall has all the tools to be a beauty but has not put it together yet. Because of that he is not a top 10 pick. But he is a top 15, so getting him at 20 would be great.

Coming out of this draft with the best player in the draft and the best KPF (by a mile) in the draft would be an exceptional result.

I just see him as a 2nd round onwards player tbh. this isn’t a draft for talls.

Completely disagree. You’d take Harry McKay in a heart beat ahead of Marshall. Marshall over Ben McKay maybe.

National draft picks

• best available up until our last pick where I’d like us to take a mature (23-25 y/old) ruckman
    pre-season draft
  • eh
    rookie draft
  • project ruckman, preferably one that has shown some ability to play as a forward
  • High risk high reward players that (most likely) haven’t come through standard pathways (Tippa being a pretty good example here) or coming back from bad injury (like Ryan Burton although obviously he went pretty early still in his draft)

Completely disagree. You’d take Harry McKay in a heart beat ahead of Marshall. Marshall over Ben McKay maybe.

I appreciate your view but I’d love you to expand on that.

National draft picks - best available up until our last pick where I'd like us to take a mature (23-25 y/old) ruckman pre-season draft - eh rookie draft - project ruckman, preferably one that has shown some ability to play as a forward - High risk high reward players that (most likely) haven't come through standard pathways (Tippa being a pretty good example here) or coming back from bad injury (like Ryan Burton although obviously he went pretty early still in his draft)

Darcy Cameron as ruckman

Venables at 20 if available

i thought English was the highest rated key position player? or is he purely a ruck? we’d be laughing if we got marshall at 20 if he really was the highest rated tall.

we do have great tall depth at the moment but still waiting on a partner for Joe. I dont rate Richards and Stewart is a big unknown. Mitch Brown is never going to be an adequate foil for Daniher. Francis is the one who could be, but he could just as well be used further up the ground or in an Enright-ish role.

i thought English was the highest rated key position player? or is he purely a ruck? we'd be laughing if we got marshall at 20 if he really was the highest rated tall.

we do have great tall depth at the moment but still waiting on a partner for Joe. I dont rate Richards and Stewart is a big unknown. Mitch Brown is never going to be an adequate foil for Daniher. Francis is the one who could be, but he could just as well be used further up the ground or in an Enright-ish role.

How about moving Hartley forward now that we have backline depth again?
He has a booming kick and would really give a headache for opposition coaches if we changed it up especially during a game.