What should we get with our picks?

Hartley’s only goal was from a 50m penalty. What about that screams forward?

It would be very interesting to take the recruiter lists for all teams after the draft and compare them.

I tracking there would be some significant differences and as such picking best available is always subjective.

If we really need a ruck then we may reach a bit at a pick if we are unsure they will be there at our next pick.

Example being if English and Florent slip and we rated Florent better but know the only ruck option we want is English we may take him instead.

It’s never as clear cut as best available or position needs. There is allot that goes into a call.

He kicked it from beyond 50 metres and it landed in the 2nd tier.
Commentators said oh the distance will be beyond him and he made them eat sh.it.
More importantly it was his 1st game and our 1st win of the year being against Melbourne.
Thats pretty great!

I would take English over Florent due to the fact we have 2 ruckman on the list but no way he lasts till then

I’d think 20 is who we judge best available. 29 is best that addresses our needs. 41 likely a predetermined role player.

What’s not great is when Leuy has all the time in the world to slot 1 from 5 metre out is tackled with the ball…scratches his head as he watches the ball go down to their end for a goal we should have had on the board.
1 of the greatest Essington moments that’s actually not great.

What's not great is when Leuy has all the time in the world to slot 1 from 5 metre out is tackled with the ball....scratches his head as he watches the ball go down to their end for a goal we should have had on the board. 1 of the greatest Essington moments that's actually not great.

Your point is?

Still want Ronke.

What's not great is when Leuy has all the time in the world to slot 1 from 5 metre out is tackled with the ball....scratches his head as he watches the ball go down to their end for a goal we should have had on the board. 1 of the greatest Essington moments that's actually not great.

Your point is?

Surely enough is enough with old mate

Still want Ronke.

B category rookie would be handy

Was explaining to Barnz what was great about Hartleys goal compared to what isn’t so great in our forward happenings.
But Hartley going forward was an imaginative idea so I give…up see you in a few days or so…

Whilst we know Hooker is a better defender than Hartley, he is also 27 vs 23 IIRC. Hooker was on many people’s scrapheap at the same age.

Hartley was thrown to the wolves to a degree this year and performed very admirably. Only going to get better individually with one on one defending and as a result of better team around him. More confidence to fly for marks, to leave his man to help others, to take more attacking options with kicking etc.

Hooker could very much dominate up fwd and his value to us there more important than in defence.

The good thing about having the first pick of the second round, is that we get a long break to weigh up which players are left from the first round.

Still want Ronke.

It would be great. No way it’ll happen though. He will go late ND or early rookie.

What we get with 20 should come with who we get with 1. I'd like to get Florent if we get McGrath with 1 and would like a player like Witherden if we get McCluggage. If someone like Battle, English or Marshall slides then I'd prioritise them at 20. Venables is another that would have to be high on the radar and Begley is still high on the clubs radar and we may pull the pin at 20 with many teams before 29 being very interested in him

I respectfully disagree. Best available with that pick every day of the week.

Absolutely no such thing as best available at pick 20…probably not even after pick 10. How do you separate people at that level? What nonsense!

What we get with 20 should come with who we get with 1. I'd like to get Florent if we get McGrath with 1 and would like a player like Witherden if we get McCluggage. If someone like Battle, English or Marshall slides then I'd prioritise them at 20. Venables is another that would have to be high on the radar and Begley is still high on the clubs radar and we may pull the pin at 20 with many teams before 29 being very interested in him

Absolutely no such thing as best available at pick 20…probably not even after pick 10. How do you separate people at that level? What nonsense!

You’re joking, right?

Hartley's only goal was from a 50m penalty. What about that screams forward?

The Sherrin.

You’re joking, right?

No, and i think anyone who thinks you can separate 20 from 21 or 22 is an utter fool. You go with the best player who fills your needs.
Still want Ronke.

It would be great. No way it’ll happen though. He will go late ND or early rookie.

Ben Ronke’s highlights is now up on the AFL draft machine. I think he is a very rough rookie chance and a very good chance to get on our category B list.

You’re joking, right?

No, and i think anyone who thinks you can separate 20 from 21 or 22 is an utter fool. You go with the best player who fills your needs.

i think either strategy works at pick 20. no doubt there have been times when clubs have jumped at a first round slider despite having another player in mind. arguably we did this with z merrett (given we were keen on lobb). there are other examples, but im too lazy to look them up