Who will our next coach be? (Part 1)

Would you allow me to call you Lance?

1 Like

This is really quite interesting.
If the club was engaging a contractor to undertake a construction gig, a good process would be to publish a tender package which might include among other things selection criteria and perhaps even tender evaluation weightings.

A selection panel then reviews the tender applicants against the stated selection criteria and calculates an objective score which is then used to select the successful candidate.
Someone then comes over the top and gives Hird the gig. That is a tainted process if it occurs.

Now when it comes to employing people it is a bit different.
But what I would say, is that if you go on Seek you will find heaps of Job Adds the equivalent of Tender invitations that spell out for all to see the job requirements and usually selection criteria or reference to other documents that contain them.
Applicants who apply are normally expected to address the selection criteria in their application to substantiate the validity of their candidacy.

But the whole interview process and how people performed and are scored etc is absolutely confidential and should be. I think we have all been to job interviews, some of which we nailed and some we bombed, for various reasons, but all the while we are the same person, and how we did in any particular interview could be due to how we were feeling on any given day and other stuff going on in our life at that moment in time.

The last thing we would need is for our performances in those interviews to become public knowledge or to be disclosed to anyone outside the process. That would be potentially embarrassing and hurtful.

So, it is crazy to think that Outsiders should expect to be told any of the stuff which should rightly be confidential.

In this scenario, due to the public nature of a job advert the public get to see the selection criteria. This is the equivalent of an “Open” tender. In many circumstances however, a closed tender by invitation can occur, and when it does then all of that information is confidential as between the Party releasing the tender invitations and the those that choose to participate.

I think it is really poor form for anyone that might be approached to come out publicly and say they were approached but said No thanks, and particularly so if they take the opportunity to Bash EFC.

I hope they get seen for what they are and it impacts the likelihood of them being invited to other opportunities in the future if that is how they conduct themselves.

Getting back to the Closed Tender process, In theory no one should know anything, about the job requirements, selection criteria or who applied.
You are then relying on the fact that an independent panel was appointed and hopefully are empowered to act truely independently.

As outsiders, we can either believe in what we are seeing and being told, or perhaps join the conspiracy theorists.

Isn’t that the they it always is?
No matter what the Club says or does there is always going to be Conspiracy Theorists.

Unfortunately for the Club, it’s past record as a collective has been poor, so for some it takes a huge leap of faith to Trust now, that They are going to Walk the Talk.

But what else can they do, but stick to their guns, follow the process and preserve appropriate confidentialities.

Public Opinion will be what it will be, but ultimately if they do it properly the new Board will regain the trust that has been lost. But that can only happen over time with consistent behaviours demonstrating best practice.

We are only at the beginning … so let’s not rush to judgement.

5 Likes

I just watched it and I must say that I’m even more confident Hird will be selected.

Lloyd obviously has intel yet the Mutt continued to interrupt him.

Anything ■■■■ suggested included “I think”
She was even quoted “I don’t know if Scott want the job”

■■■■, is full of ■■■■, she just said something Blitz doesn’t like.

■■■■ is spot on, she just said something Blitz wants.

Lol, never change guys.

4 Likes

■■■■ has spent a lifetime deciding something is going to happen in her mind and backing that like it’s the absolute truth even if it isn’t. And will fight to the death on what she has now chosen to believe. It’s quite a skill.

Right now I think there are two things at play

Maybe she is pushing an AFL agenda, but most definitely she cannot even begin to comprehend Hird coaching Essendon, almost fearful of.

Telling herself what she wants to hear, championing the alternatives. Which the whole Scott will get it if others properly going through process dont sounds utterly ridiculous.

4 weeks ago ■■■■ said that Clarkson was almost a certainty to join us.

3 days later he announced North.
I wouldnt listen to a word she says.

16 Likes

I’m sensing you want Hird to get the job…

2 Likes

Your scent doesn’t fail you.
I will be happy with Scott but seriously let’s get a grip here.
It’s ■■■■’n ■■■■ news

Kind of glad our next coach isn’t Clako all of a sudden.

6 Likes

Might be on a blitz island here, but Rohan is hardly mature when talking all things EFC especially Hird.

I know its twitter, but pot calling kettle here.

2 Likes

Last night I had to listen to a Norf fan laugh at how desperate we are in chasing Scott. He kept telling me how bad his last 3 seasons there were and that his record in his last season was 3 wins 10 losses and how glad they were when he left… It was so depressing listening to a norf supporter talking about how bad we must be to need Scott. The sad thing is I couldn’t say that he was wrong.

2 Likes

Hirdy’s likely got one final shot left in the barrell to wrest the selection his way. His final session presentation will be fully researched and rehearsed involving team structures and setups, training programmes, game day plans using visions of e.g. Collingwood, Swans and say Tiger setups with magnets all over the boards. Even a pseudo addressing the boys if the panel wanted a flavour just to round it out.

He’ll leave nothing out there or inside that room to get this job. He wants it super bad.

And so he"ll Blitz Scott, Yze, Pyke and others, leaving the members no bloody choice but him. Lloydy knows it, Timmy starting to accept it, some more level headed objective hacks hearing the steady drumbeat of personal compliments re: JH too.

And if it happens … it will be liberating and powerful.

23 Likes

Wow, we dodged a huge bullet with Clarkson off to North. Fagan will be under the pump too.

6 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Who will our next coach be? (Part 2).