World Cup Thread 2018

Yeah the pogbas

In that instance all VAR did was change a contentious penalty decision from a non-penalty to a penalty. Certainly for me there was no intent to play the ball with the hand, yes they were in what youā€™d deem an ā€œunnatural positionā€ but he was airborne. Croatia extremely stiff, and I would bet every dollar I have on the fact that if the shoe was on the other foot and France had handled the ball in that manner in their penalty box, it wouldnā€™t have even been reviewed, much less get the decision in Croatiaā€™s favour. Iā€™d say it was an undeserving victory to the French given that the Croats outplayed them, but bad luck and some individual brilliance undid them.

4 Likes

He gives them structure, holds up the ball and passes it off to runners, and means that the centre-backs have something to worry about giving more room to Giezeman and Mbappe (sp?). He also plays deeper so heā€™s not pinching their space either. Provides assistance offensively and defensively for set pieces as well due to his height.

2 Likes

AKA the DUKES role?

1 Like

Iā€™m a little confused over the views here on the free kick and penalty. I thought they were both pretty clear cut, and the referee got them both right.

With the free kick there was contact to his calf from behind, and thatā€™s a free every day of the week. With the penalty nobody can judge intent, so referees judge it by distance the ball travels and how natural the arm is in. And the ball travelled a long way, and the arm was stuck out. He got his knee up, but didnā€™t move his arm out. Its a penalty, stone cold.

I thought Croatia was a bit lucky (especially versus England) not to get more yellow cards than they did.

Absolutely. Outside of Brazil and Spain they knocked out every other favourite who made it out of the group stages.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Always annoyed me the criticism he got, was a quality player.

1 Like

You score in a cup final, what do you choose to do? Carry on like a c__t.

1 Like

Sorry Ants but the first free most definitely was not there. Griezmann was going to ground before contact was made. If he hadnā€™t, there may have been no contact at all. Most definitely a dive. Add in that Pogba was most definitely offside when the kick was taken and was pushing in on Mandzukic when he contacted the ball. Should have been called as offside.

To me the penalty shouldnā€™t have been awarded, but I can understand why it was.

2 Likes

When you knock out Uruguay, Argentina and Belgium- you are clearly the best team of the tournament.

The replay from behind clearly showed the defenderā€™s leg clipping his calf.

Not sure on the Pogba offside, donā€™t really remember that.

I agree, the defenders leg did clip his calf, but he was going down before that contact occurred. If he had stayed on his feet and kept running, that contact may not have occurred.

MBAPPE

Pogba clearly behind defenders before ball is struck.

3 Likes

Griezmann clearly dives.

3 Likes

France is young can they go back to back?

Definitely.
The French seconds would beat plenty of countries that were at the WC.
They are just at the start of a real golden era IMO

Not enough discussion around how weird the French prez was during the presentations

With the kissing and the holding of peoples heads and the touching

Was he on the pingaz?

1 Like

Is my life that sad that Iā€™m having separation anxiety from this thread already?

Probably

4 Likes

Just replace man in this great speech with thread

Heā€™s French.