Your dream location to live if you havent already moved there?

Mapanas

Harkaway,berwick village or belgrave south.doveton is also nice if you like to live on the edge whilst walking the dog or taking the kids to the park.

Harkaway is nice.

South belgrave is a steep shithole firetrap.

You guys can buy my joint in Clematis if ya want that type of thing.

Anywhere from South Melbourne/St Kilda down to Brighton, thanks. Footy, cricket, tennis, theatre, food etc etc etc.

With a holiday home in Osaka.

Why Osaka?

Love the vibe - a tad more laid back than Tokyo, with friendlier people, but just as many attractions. I found Tokyo the most ā€œwesternā€ of Japanese cities - people there are a bit colder and less friendly than anywhere else in Japan. Osaka is the ideal combination for me. Truth be known, if I lived full time in Japan it would be Fukuoka - small city, but big amenities and attractions. Great lifestyle.

Iā€™d take Tokyo, moreso cause I thought Osaka was busier and more dense (crowded) than Tokyo.

Tokyo is also middle of Japan so north east or south west is easy to get to.

If I was moving to Japan it would either be Fukuoka, Hiroshima or Nagasaki. Nagasaki slight favourite.

Iā€™d probably go somewhere colder and a lot less humid than here in Cairns. Top 3 of the places Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to visit that I could see myself living in would be Queenstown, Seattle and Vancouver, in some order.

Malta

1 Like
Malta

I was there a month ago. Personally Iā€™d pass, but some people love it.

Malta

Been there, and didnā€™t think it had much going for it. Brutally hot in summer, bitterly cold in winter, local wines suck and the beer tastes like soapy water.

People are wonderful though.

I like malt. Particularly in whisky.

Does that count?

Malta

Been there, and didnā€™t think it had much going for it. Brutally hot in summer, bitterly cold in winter, local wines suck and the beer tastes like soapy water.

People are wonderful though.

Ahh, no. Although they did just experience a day below 10 recently and a few of them were complaining about it. They arenā€™t really set up for the cold though, so when they do get a cold day they go on about it.

The beer is about on par with the aussie stuff if youā€™re referring to cisk. Not great, but drinkable.

VIVA LOS VEGAS

Only problem is that I would be broke and an alcoholic within a month of arriving!

Anywhere from South Melbourne/St Kilda down to Brighton, thanks. Footy, cricket, tennis, theatre, food etc etc etc.

Why Osaka?

Love the vibe - a tad more laid back than Tokyo, with friendlier people, but just as many attractions. I found Tokyo the most ā€œwesternā€ of Japanese cities - people there are a bit colder and less friendly than anywhere else in Japan. Osaka is the ideal combination for me. Truth be known, if I lived full time in Japan it would be Fukuoka - small city, but big amenities and attractions. Great lifestyle.

Cool to hear. Iā€™ve been living in Osaka for 13 years and love it, just never considered it a ā€œholiday homeā€ destination, haha. Itā€™s a pretty ugly city to look at, but highly liveable.

Why Osaka?

Iā€™d take Tokyo, moreso cause I thought Osaka was busier and more dense (crowded) than Tokyo.

Nah, Tokyo blows Osaka away for crowds. Osaka feels like Melbourne when you return from Tokyo. Osakaā€™s location is pretty darn good, I think. With Kyoto, Nara, and Kobe all under an hour away itā€™s easy to escape to a totally different vibe. It makes it convenient for when family and friends visit as tourists.

A decade ago in my outgoing early 30s I wouldā€™ve chosen a hip neighbourhood in a European city like Berlin, Prague, or Vienna, but as time, family, and work see me gradually tire and become more recluse and a fan of quiet time, a cottage in a picturesque countryside would be a heavenly place in the future. Somewhere in New England would do well, they also have the best beer in the world coming out of there.
I was very charmed by Hobart/Tassie when I was there a year ago, I could easily see myself retiring down there if it doesnā€™t lose any of its character in the next 20-odd years.

Why Osaka?

Cool to hear. Iā€™ve been living in Osaka for 13 years and love it, just never considered it a ā€œholiday homeā€ destination, haha. Itā€™s a pretty ugly city to look at, but highly liveable.

Off subject, but living in Cairns & having direct flights to Osaka, looking at doing a Xmas trip at the end of the year - what are the Xmas lights around Osaka like?

Really nice. All December there's a German Christmas market under the Sky Bldg with a massive tree. Nakanoshima island, smack bang in the middle of town, has a big long walk of lights. Midosuji Blvd has lit up trees all along. They really go for it. A short trip to Kobe and you get the wonderful Luminarie from early to mid Dec. It's meant to commemorate the earthquake, but the timing gives it a good vibe in the lead up to Christmas.
Dream location? Fiji.

Ideal in my vicinity? I kinda like rural type properties that are still close to the suburbs and within an hour of the city.

The rich parts of the Lysterfield valley, Wonga Park and Warrandyte are very nice areas (although Iā€™m unlikely to afford them anytime soon), and even a small stretch in Kilsyth which is rural, but probably almost affordable even now.

But then again, my mate is down in Mount Martha, and thatā€™s a farkin spectacular place to live in summer.

Kilsyth? Only spot I can kinda think of that fits the bill is off Liverpool rd
Mooroolbark has actually has a fairly large area/chunk of it tucked away in the bush at the Lilydale/Montrose end near Canterbury rd

Itā€™s the Liverpool Road / Glasgow road part I was thinking of, but yes that ends up being Montrose further down.

That little stretch of valley on Glasgow road with the paddocks looking up to Mt Dandenongā€¦ I visited a property in there a few years ago, and it might as well as have been a different country. It certainly made it hard to rationalise that I was 5 mins from Boronia.

Why Osaka?

Nah, Tokyo blows Osaka away for crowds. Osaka feels like Melbourne when you return from Tokyo. Osakaā€™s location is pretty darn good, I think. With Kyoto, Nara, and Kobe all under an hour away itā€™s easy to escape to a totally different vibe. It makes it convenient for when family and friends visit as tourists.

Itā€™s funny but a week in Osaka was tiring for me. Probably didnā€™t help I was around the main station all the time staying at the Intercontinental. Maybe I was just in a better pocket in Tokyo in a nice apartment as opposed to a hotel. Depends what youā€™re looking for in both cities I guess.

Keep right unless overtaking is annoying as well :dizzy:

Either way Iā€™d rather be in Japan right now.

I would be moving back home to Adelaide or setting up shop in Melbourne if the chance arrived.

Why Osaka?

Itā€™s funny but a week in Osaka was tiring for me. Probably didnā€™t help I was around the main station all the time staying at the Intercontinental. Maybe I was just in a better pocket in Tokyo in a nice apartment as opposed to a hotel. Depends what youā€™re looking for in both cities I guess.

Keep right unless overtaking is annoying as well :dizzy:

Either way Iā€™d rather be in Japan right now.

You and me both.

Our first trip to Osaka was around the main station area, which was only so-so. Subsequent numerous trips weā€™ve stayed in Namba - heaps better.

Why Osaka?

Off subject, but living in Cairns & having direct flights to Osaka, looking at doing a Xmas trip at the end of the year - what are the Xmas lights around Osaka like?

On subject, Cairns is a dream location for me, but I can handle the humidity after 6 years living in the Solomon Islands & 14 years in Darwin.

South Pacific, like PP mentioned about Fiji, is really nice, although Iā€™d choose Vanuatu - but being more 3rd world than even SE Asia, would make it difficult to retire too, as hospitals & health facilities etc are very ordinary.

Dream location? Fiji.

Ideal in my vicinity? I kinda like rural type properties that are still close to the suburbs and within an hour of the city.

The rich parts of the Lysterfield valley, Wonga Park and Warrandyte are very nice areas (although Iā€™m unlikely to afford them anytime soon), and even a small stretch in Kilsyth which is rural, but probably almost affordable even now.

But then again, my mate is down in Mount Martha, and thatā€™s a farkin spectacular place to live in summer.

Kilsyth? Only spot I can kinda think of that fits the bill is off Liverpool rd
Mooroolbark has actually has a fairly large area/chunk of it tucked away in the bush at the Lilydale/Montrose end near Canterbury rd

Harkaway,berwick village or belgrave south.doveton is also nice if you like to live on the edge whilst walking the dog or taking the kids to the park.