Your preference for pick 1

Consensus draft from hurlingpeoplenow

https://hurlingpeoplenow.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/cpdfinal.jpg?w=656

I would lose my mind if we got McGrath and SPS!

Well unless we got Carlton’s pick…

They’re not that bad

I think McQuade implied it earlier, but FFS the "leadership" of Private School kids has to be one of the most overrated things ever.

This is not a comment on McGrath, as how would I know, but a general comment on Private Schools and the perceptions that are reinforced over and over in this society.

Just because someone was a “BGS Boy” does not make them inherently any more of a leader or a more worthy member of society than someone who went to (insert name of some state high school that people think is not great quality). Being a “prefect” at one of these schools generally is helped a lot by performance in sports/academics/music/drama that gets noticed. And then it becomes self fulfilling. But the thing is this “leadership” is based on perceptions of the 15 and 16yo version of the person, and is not in any way related to what the person may be at 23 or 50.

Yet our society seems to put the fact that someone was well respected at a “prestigious” private school on a pedestal.

It’s complete rubbish.

Now McGrath may be a fantastic leader (he certainly seems to have a bunch of the qualities), and he may grow into a great leader, but the amount of “Captain of BGS” stuff is off the chart. (and forgetting the BGS “issues” this year hey…)

Judge the person, not the title.

(and really, let’s judge the footballer)

Tend to agree.
But the same applies to McCluggage to some degree. He attends Ballarat & Clarendon College. Probably rivals Ballarat Grammar as the most distinguished. It may not compare to Brighton Grammar, it’s certainly highly regarded.

But most promising footballers will be playing for a Private school, the schools hand out scholarships to athletes like they’re lollipops.

I think McQuade implied it earlier, but FFS the "leadership" of Private School kids has to be one of the most overrated things ever.

This is not a comment on McGrath, as how would I know, but a general comment on Private Schools and the perceptions that are reinforced over and over in this society.

Just because someone was a “BGS Boy” does not make them inherently any more of a leader or a more worthy member of society than someone who went to (insert name of some state high school that people think is not great quality). Being a “prefect” at one of these schools generally is helped a lot by performance in sports/academics/music/drama that gets noticed. And then it becomes self fulfilling. But the thing is this “leadership” is based on perceptions of the 15 and 16yo version of the person, and is not in any way related to what the person may be at 23 or 50.

Yet our society seems to put the fact that someone was well respected at a “prestigious” private school on a pedestal.

It’s complete rubbish.

Now McGrath may be a fantastic leader (he certainly seems to have a bunch of the qualities), and he may grow into a great leader, but the amount of “Captain of BGS” stuff is off the chart. (and forgetting the BGS “issues” this year hey…)

Don’t agree with that at all. If he was his school captain he must have some sort of leadership qualities. I think his leadership “runs on the board” have extended beyond school too.

My point wasn’t about McGrath.

And of course he must have some sort of leadership qualities, and I’d agree he’s probably shown them beyond the boundaries of school, but you never hear “Was the captain of Ringwood High” as being meaningful. My point was that him being at BGS seems to make any display of “leadership” become overrated in the consciousness of everyone.

Tend to agree. But the same applies to McCluggage to some degree. He attends Ballarat & Clarendon College. Probably rivals Ballarat Grammar as the most distinguished. It may not compare to Brighton Grammar, it's certainly highly regarded.

But most promising footballers will be playing for a Private school, the schools hand out scholarships to athletes like they’re lollipops.

I don’t really know anything about McCluggages school, but I take your point.

Oh yeah, sports scholarships are massive. Amazing how much parents $$ that have been invested in their children’s education some of these schools spend on “marketing”

SPP**

It’s complete rubbish.

Tend to agree.
But the same applies to McCluggage to some degree. He attends Ballarat & Clarendon College. Probably rivals Ballarat Grammar as the most distinguished. It may not compare to Brighton Grammar, it’s certainly highly regarded.

Going to a private school i can attest to that the amount of scholarships handed out to promising athletes, musicians and academics are crazy. Full scholarships could end up costing the school over 80k

NOB & Kav were both captains of their school teams, you could be the best leader in the world, you still need the tools to play the game.

Interview with Jackets on the club website says whoever we pick will be a very good player and a future leader of the club. So there’s that.

Isaac ■■■■■■■ got a invite to the national draft, would be a bit of a surprise if he went top 10.

Isaac ■■■■■■■ got a invite to the national draft, would be a bit of a surprise if he went top 10.
Apparently Swans want him

Sounds like GWS will have to match three first round picks for Setterfield, Perryman and ■■■■■■■.

No way they could do that if they lost their picks 15 and 37.

Kents.

Sounds like GWS will have to match three first round picks for Setterfield, Perryman and ■■■■■■■.

No way they could do that if they lost their picks 15 and 37.

Kents.

Yep and next year they will lose a pick or two

Such a weird system that GWS are going to end up with Pick 2 plus Setterfield… Especially when you consider Setterfield has probably visited western Sydney once or twice in his life… Oh well - equalisation and the AFL and all that.

FWIW - So excited about McGrath.

Such a weird system that GWS are going to end up with Pick 2 plus Setterfield... Especially when you consider Setterfield has probably visited western Sydney once or twice in his life... Oh well - equalisation and the AFL and all that.

FWIW - So excited about McGrath.

Also one of the kids i think Cummings has been playing SANFL
I'm just preparing Jacket's answers atm. First dot point is:
  • He’s a man of great character and a future leader of the club

Anyone got some others?

So much this.

You pick the best players and then you choose the best leaders out of your squad to lead your team.

Well unless we got Carlton’s pick…

Haha, I see the error of my ways. Perhaps SPP will be better?
Emma Quayle still has McGrath at 1, but McCluggage is a "massive chance" to be called out. First time I can remember that the top pick isn't known

Talk about hedging your bets.

Seems setterfield has dropped out of the race. Prob GWS indicating they will match.

If you think someone will match, then you should bid on them (if you rate them at that pick), especially if it stops them picking up two top 10 talents like GWS have access to this year.

If we know GWS will match a bid at pick 1, then they can’t have McG/McC as well as Setterfield.

If.

(As the Laconians/Spartans are reputed to have said.)