Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 2, March 2022)

Continuing the discussion from Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019) - #10084 by Paul_Peos.

Previous discussions:

Lol.

Well that was a large volume of words to waste on the last few posts of the thread.

3 Likes

But I fully agree with it. We really need to look like a serious contender before we’ll start feeling good about the club again.

Just wondering how long that is going to take.

2 Likes

The whole thread was a waste of words, as this new one will be!

But the sooks need somewhere to cry when we lose

4 Likes

How dare you Swoodley.

How very dare you.

7 Likes

In the year 2525, if Blitz is still alive
If Essendon can survive, finals declined
In the year 3535
Still need a big bodied mid, tell no lie
Everything Blitz think, do and say
Caused by the crap Essendon play

In the year 4545
Still ain’t got a forward, can’t kick no goals
Still can’t find a way through the press
Footy skills remain a mess
In the year 5555
Blitzers arms hangin’ limp at their sides
It’s September with nothin’ to do
Some other club doin’ that for you

In the year 6565
We still can’t do kick outs, we get into strife
So pick a real gun, a skinny wingman too
'Cause we finished last in the queue.
In the year 7510
We think God’s a coming, playing half back then
Maybe The Messiah look around and say
“I can’t do it all, Bombers not today”

In the year 8510
The CEO is gonna shake his aching head
He’ll say “I’m pleased how our sponsor’s been,
The team - tear it down, and start again”
In the year 9595
I’m kinda wonderin’ if Essendon is gonna be alive
They’ve taken everything the Blitzers can give
And they ain’t put back nothing

Now it’s been ten thousand years
Blitz has cried a billion tears
For a win, they never knew, now Blitz’s reign is through
But through eternal night, Essendon’s finals plight
So very far away, maybe it’s only yesterday

In the year 2525, if Blitz is still alive
If Essendon can survive, finals declined.

18 Likes

VFLW are outscoring the AFL (average 76 vs 73.5)… in a game that runs only 80 minutes.

The score-against comparison is much more embarrassing that that.

Stop saying the CLUB is farked.

6 Likes

The whole thread is not about the team, its about the club. The problems with the team are a reflection of the problems with the club.
The problems have always started at the top.
The entire Matthew Knights selection, Hird selection, Thompson selection, Dank selection, Weapon selection, Worsefold selection, Rutten selection are all “lets pick the next good bloke we know who walks past.”
We havent had a creative coach since Sheedy.
That’s a reflection of the culture of the club.

8 Likes

Love it, thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Last couple of seasons the following have all had ankle syndesmosis surgery.

Draper
McGrath
Stringer
Laverde
Merrett

On top of serious knee injuries to Draper, Shiel, McGrath. Serious hammy injuries to Caldwell, Langford.

Jones and Reid both perennially injured too.

Tippa awol.

Pretty hard to have sustained improvement when best talent has no continuity.

Sheedy curse…

6 Likes

I think you only need to look at the LinkedIn profile for our list manager. Look at the years with the club, the role he’s played, the players he’s lost, the total failure of the club. This man has overseen the chronic long term recruitment of plays that just aren’t up to it. In addition to this, he’s ensured the demise of Sheedy, Knights, Worsfold and is now destroying Rutton as he recruits players to th club that just aren’t AFL footballers. I’m not naming specific players as its not fair to them, but let’s face it, this man has been at the club for 17 years…… hang on…… we haven’t won a final for, you guessed it…… 17 years. He is the only constant at the club during this time. Easy to sack the coach, time to make this bloke responsible for recruitment of the wrong players and the loss of very good players.

10 Likes

Dedoro has been at Essendon since 1998.

3 Likes

But where will the happy clappers go?
It’s only pre season
It’s only round 1
It’s only round 2…………………………

4 Likes

None of us are ready for being a crap team while FarkCarlton is looking like a top 4 team.

3 Likes
  1. Recruit blokes who can play. 2. Teach them
    Structure 3. Coach them with imagination on game day / tagging / positional changes etc. 4. Manage their health.
    Simple.
    We stuff up with 1.
    The rest is therefore irrelevant.
    Jackets cannon.
1 Like

It’s only mid season. We just have to win 10 of the last 11 to fall into the finals again.

And the reward will be yet another interstate final. What finals record can we set this time around :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

sadly with our ever growing list of injuries- the first 3 weeks were always going to very very tough. This week is going to be brutal.

The real pressure on the club will begin from Round 4. The pressure to get a win against the Crows in 2 weeks time will be extreme. Lose that and things will turn a bit ugly from the fans

2 Likes

Right here is where I lost the EFC I knew and loved.

6 Likes

Agreed.

I’m in that “happy clapper” camp that @Aceman mentioned in a previous post. Although I think that’s a tad strong…

It would’ve been nice to snag one win out of those tough first 3 games (I thought our best chance was against the Lions but not to be) but realistically we all knew it was such a tough start to the year. Not that this is necessarily a terrible thing… a bit of a reality check doesn’t always have to be a total confidence sapper.

Had our first 3 games been Adelaide (Marvel), Fremantle (Marvel) and Collingwood (MCG) … I think our season would look quite a bit different. A couple of wins (maybe even three?) in that lot would have given us confidence heading into Geelong, Brisbane and Melbourne. But not to be.

Last year again showed us we are totally a momentum team/club. We just need that circuit breaker win and things will turn around. Last year it was against the Saints. This year? Who knows yet…

1 Like